Making music transforms lives – but only when people know where to find it! Our plan is to take music to where people are. We’re raising funds to create a Travelling Music Box, fill it with musical instruments, recording equipment and tailored musical experiences, and tour it around Worcestershire to young people in schools, playgrounds, skate parks, hospitals and more. The van can be booked for all sorts of public events. Different experiences may include: ukulele jams, record and perform your favourite song, become a DJ, join a samba band, or even play junk percussion! For those who develop an appetite for more, we can point them in the right direction for further musical adventures! We asked people what they thought - Worcester Royal Hospital thought it was 'a great idea!' Acorns Children's Hospice said 'we would definitely be interested' and a local District Council said 'your mobile van sounds great and you'd be welcome into the parks'.
(Illustration credit: Emily Collard)
What we'll deliver:
- A travelling music box for schools and public places: a van full of professionally facilitated musical experiences
Why it's a great idea:
Young people love music - but not all of them have the same opportunities to learn. At Severn Arts, we're all about bringing those opportunities to people - rather than waiting for them to find us!
Our travelling music box will reach across Worcestershire - to playgrounds, rural schools, hospitals and shopping centres in disadvantaged areas to name just a few. We will deliver music sessions ourselves and in partnership. There's an appetite for this. The 'Tell me what you want' project in Bromsgrove recently looked at what would encourage people to take part in the arts. Arts activity on the doorstep (village halls, skateparks, local facilities) was one major answer!
We know that engaging with music helps a range of life skills. The van will be travelling around whilst we launch our Bursary Scheme to make music lessons more affordable to families in need. So this will be a great way to get that first musical experience underway, with a professional and supportive facilitator.
Steps to get it done:
- Assessing best quotes and purchasing the van
- Arranging for the van to be fitted out inside
- Arranging for the van to be vinyl wrapped with the Travelling Music Box and Severn Arts design
- Providing 5 free visits of the van to the schools or public places of 5 lucky pledgers!
- Arranging which Severn Arts and partnership events the van will attend
- Providing driver and Severn Arts teacher/commissioned provider/Hub partner to deliver sessions on the van
- Promote the musical experiences on Worcestershire's Travelling Music Box more widely and schedule in bookings
- Continual response to needs analysis, using the van to provide musical opportunities to plug gaps
Once all pledges are in, if we meet our target, we will randomly select 5 pledgers to win a visit from the travelling music box! This could be to your school, play area, hospital, hospice or a nominated public place. After that, the van will be available for all sorts of bookable musical opportunities!
Severn Arts loves to work with young people and help develop their creativity. Thanks to Emily Collard, Illustration student at the University of Worcester, for her beautiful illustration of Worcestershire's Travelling Music Box.
For even more information about Worcestershire's Travelling Music Box, please visit www.severnarts.org.uk/giving