The Sound Agents will establish and launch 'THE ART OF LIVING' STORIES FOR RADIO AND THEATRE PROJECT to reach elderly and isolated people to entertain and engage them with true Liverpool stories.
The focus of the first piece, The Life and Times of Miss June Furlong will help to unify people who might also feel isolated and disconnected in these difficult times. June was a life model for 50 years modelling in Liverpool Art School, Liverpool John Moores University, The Slade and the Royal Academy of Arts. Her story includes memories of friendships with Lucien Freud, Francis Bacon, Frank Auerbach and John Lennon and the strict regime of working in art schools post WWII. Her resilience and charm has led her to remember happy times and good people during Lock Down, by sharing her story June wants to encourage other people to reminisce.
The radio story will develop in to a play and when safe will transfer to a theatre to bring older people together as part of the theatre experience
What we'll deliver:
- A newly written story/play for local radio
- Two 2 hour taught life drawing workshops for 20 people donating £20
- 2 workshops in residential sheltered schemes for Housing Associations donating £250
- When safe the play will be performed in a Liverpool Theatre
Why it's a great idea:
Liverpool has a rich cultural heritage, by capturing the true stories of Local elders to share on radio and theatre younger generations will learn how resilient people have been over the years during good times and difficult times.
Many people feel socially isolated and lonely especially now during lockdown. Reaching out to work in partnership with organisations such as Radio Merseyside and Age UK will open up the project to a wide audience who will benefit by realising that their story matters too.
Workshops in residential sheltered schemes will give people an opportunity to tell their stories in a safe environment and provide an archive of local social history.
Community theatre groups and actors will have opportunities to get involved in performances to create work that will be of historic importance to future generations.
Steps to get it done:
- Record oral histories with June Furlong
- End of June develop transcriptions of audio recordings into short stories
- July develop stories into play for radio
- Early July Actor confirmed
- Mid July Recording session with Actor
- Production of high quality Audio track
- June/July/August Liaise with local radio / marketing
- August Air time for play on radio YouTube and hospital radio
- August Deliver Workshops with residential sheltered schemes
- August Deliver 2 taught Life drawing workshop
- When safe transfer to theatre