The restoration of an ancient well, spring-pool and garden will;
•create a natural, tranquil setting for visitors and the local community to enjoy
•engage the community through volunteering; and
•provide a resource for educational activities and small-scale cultural events;
The well, spring-pool and community garden are located in a secluded amphitheater grove close to the village of Burton and River Dee.
Historically, it was the main source of water for the village and in earlier times it is thought that the spring provided for the Iron Age fort at Burton Point.
Today, it is on a popular walking route and the Well will provide another point of interest on a route linking Burton Point, the marshes, Burton village and Manor and the nearby RSPB reserve. It is also on the Cheshire regional cycle route
The restoration will create an accessible, tranquil setting for relaxation and contemplation as well as a place of creative inspiration for artists, poets and for children to play.
What we'll deliver:
- clearance of silt and vegetation from the spring-pond;
- repair of the surrounding cobble sets and pathways to make for safer access;
- planting of 1000 native bluebells /snowdrops
Why it's a great idea:
Restoration of the well, spring-pool and community garden will ;
. provide safer access for visitors to enjoy a place of natural beauty and historical interest
. individuals and groups will benefit from the health and well-being aspects of being in a tranquil, natural setting
. volunteers working on site to restore and maintain the community garden will benefit from social interaction and active exercise
. the well site will provide a resource for play and educational opportunities for children through engagement with local schools;
. the community will benefit from a resource for social and cultural events such as poetry readings and art workshops
. increasing awareness of local history and create an enhanced sense of belonging and community
Steps to get it done:
- Purchase of bluebell / snowdrop bulbs
- Organise group of volunteers to plant bulbs
- organise a Big Dig Event Plant to bluebell bulbs
- Organise hire of skip to remove green waste
- Organise group of volunteers to dig out spring-pool
- Organise and advertise A Big Dig event to dig out spring pool
- Liaise with council and approved contractor for restoration of cobbles- part of site will be closed off during works.