The group has organised this event for 17 years. We hope people will create their own happy memories and enjoy where they live and show they are thought of and can have a say and be heard in their community.
We have always ensured that this event is FREE so it can be inclusive. The group does this by fundraising £6000. We now know that we have a very established itinerary of fun activities and events that are proven to be very popular and we always get over 500 local people on the day.
This year there is a big focus on the environment including:
A) pledge tree - invite people to add a leaf to our tree with a challenge on that they will do to help the environment.
B) seed planting - seed will be for salad / vegetables, ideally ones suited for windowsill growing.
C) make your own plant pot - making pots by recycling single use plastics (e.g. milk bottles).
What we'll deliver:
- Put on a large variety of fun activities on the day
- Promote other organisations and local groups
- Feel welcomed and part of a bigger community
- Have fun and forget about every day stresses
- Gain an understanding or nature and wildlife in the park
- learn about planting in the edible garden area
- Create an environmental pledge tree
- Work with local school to collect single use plastic containers
- Up-cycled plant pots from single use plastics
Why it's a great idea:
Its a special day in the local calendar and has been running for 17 years organised by a few residents. The children that came as toddlers are now part of the day helping in the stalls, serving the community and having a real sense of place. It is well attended and although very hard work it is really appreciated by everyone.
Steps to get it done:
- booking all the activities, music mini petting farm, magicians, games, preparing treasure hunts and prizes
- buying and hiring resources for the day, tents tables chairs, food, art materials
- improving the edible garden, providing plants and tools