The Edward Woods Community Centre is a vibrant community centre with over 2000 visitors each week (pre-Covid). We pride ourselves on providing an informal non-judgemental space where residents can take part in or initiate any number of low cost or no cost activities.
In 2018, we began to explore the feasibility of generating our own electricity. After lots of advice & support and successfully raising funds and installing solar panels at our sister site (The Masbro Centre) in 2019/20, we decided that it was time for Edward Woods to take the plunge and join the solar revolution!
We plan to install 92 solar panels, generating 24,416kw hours per year! As an integral part of the Hammersmith & Fulham Community we are not only committed to reducing our carbon footprint but also to continue to deliver a diverse range of projects for our community.
We will launch our panels with a 'community clear up day' involving all the groups/clubs that use the centre, residents and local schools.
What we'll deliver:
- Edward Woods will produce its own green energy source, approximately 29,000 kwh per year
- 15.3 tons of Carbon Emissions stand to be saved each year
- Money saved or generated, estimated at £150k over 20 years, will be spent community projects
Why it's a great idea:
We are a charity and every penny counts. The money saved by generating our own power this way will be used on community projects on the estate that meet the emerging needs of the community we serve. Never has this been more evident than in the emergency COVID food support we are currently providing to 500 families on a weekly basis.
The greatest anticipated outcome is the generation of a surplus of clean energy, supporting not just the centre through reduced energy costs and engagement with sustainability, but also the greater community benefit through lower carbon emissions, improved air quality through reduced gas combustion, and by setting an example for other community projects.
Steps to get it done:
- Prepare the centre for installation
- Installation of the panels
- Testing of equipment
- Grand launch and community clear up event
Through a holistic programme of activities the Urban Partnership Groups aims to:
1. Enhance and promote the health, wealth and well-being of people in the Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham and surrounding areas.
2. Reduce inequalities and remove discrimination and other causes of social exclusion in disadvantaged groups and communities in order to ensure that Hammersmith & Fulham is a place where everyone has the opportunity to live healthily and prosperously, in tolerant, caring communities.
3. Rebuild communities and improve opportunities for disadvantaged people to participate in work and other aspects of community life.
4. Continually improve the delivery of services and implement innovative solutions to meet changing local needs and community aspirations.
Key services include:
Older peoples services
Training and employment support
Community & Maternity Champions projects
Nursery's & Children Centre.