A thought-provoking artwork comes to Macc in November.
Housed in a graffitied 40ft shipping container, The Aftermath Dislocation Principle (or the #ADPRiotTour) is a miniature world full of irreverent, post-apocalyptic scenes created by artist Jimmy Cauty (from 90s duo The KLF). This artwork was originally part of Banksy's Dismaland Experience in Weston-super-Mare in 2015 and was shown at the Royal Academy in London this summer.
With your support this unorthodox artwork will be outside B&M Bargains in Macclesfield from Tuesday 15th to Monday 21st November to continue the town’s cultural revolution.
The container is internally lit from 11am-7pm so visitors can view the interior townscape through the peep holes all around.
If we exceed our target, we will also fund free, activities and happenings by local artists on the square alongside the container (eg placard workshops) to excite the imagination, inspire and entertain people of all ages.
What we'll deliver:
- Bring the ADP artwork to Macclesfield's Exchange St car park outside B&M
- Open the artwork daily 11am-7pm from Tuesday 15th to Monday 21 November.
- Organise a talk by Jimmy Cauty about his artwork.
- Create a free leaflet exploring Macclesfield's history of protest and dissent.
- Involve up to 40 local people as volunteers and art makers.
- Use this to help launch an annual community event around the potato riot of 13th April 1812.
- Invite schools and other young people's groups to visit and contribute to the artwork
Why it's a great idea:
Why should you support this?
• Nationally acclaimed artwork by high profile conceptual artist, Jimmy Cauty.
• Puts Macclesfield on the cultural map again (where else in Cheshire could this happen?).
• An intriguing and unmissable reason to visit the town.
• Brings attention and drives footfall to a neglected area.
• An artwork with broad appeal to all ages and backgrounds.
• Easily accessible, inviting and inclusive – art in a car park.
• Artist Jimmy Cauty will talk publicly about his work outside B&M.
• Connects and galvanises some of Macclesfield’s brightest and bravest artists, makers and wordsmiths.
• This artwork enables the retelling of the 1812 Potato Riot and other stories from Macclesfield’s history, enriching and deepening our understanding of the place we love.
• Funds a free pamphlet revealing Macclesfield’s heritage of protest and dissent.
• Brings a slice of Banksy's Dismaland to Macc - making us think, smile and we hope have fun!
Steps to get it done:
- Confirm permissions and arrangements with CEC for use car park
- Confirm booking with ADP and logistics of getting container in and out
- Commission artist Ralph McGaul and wordsmith Ailsa Holland to create bespoke pamphlet
- Confirm Temporary Event Notice application
- Acquire publicity material from ADP and distribute posters and fliers
- Issue media release and use all channels and networks for promotion
- Recruit and draw up volunteer schedule
- Design and print for special Macc slogan t-shirt and tote bag with The Print Mill
- Arrange for Kiosk, signage and site dressing, undertake risk assessment and volunteer briefings
- Launch the #AdpRiotTour and thank our crowd funders!
Please help make this happen and give as much as you can. We have some riotous rewards:
£10 gets a ticket to private opening party at Mash Guru, Back Wallgate, Tues 15 Nov with dissent, music and Jimmy Cauty himself (100 only, one per pledger) OR AdpRiotTour Guidebook (first ed) OR AdpRiotTour 23 post-riot Postcard Pack; £20 gets a AdpRiotTour t-shirts OR alternative t-shirt; £50 gets a limited edition (20) woodcut print inspired by 1812 riot from artist Ralph McGaul; £100 (before 9th Nov) gets your name/company on a bespoke banner alongside the container, 2 VIP tickets for opening party - incl Molotov cocktails! Pledge £150 for huge thank you, any one of the above and a sack of heritage potatoes, the same variety as hurled in Macc's 1812 riot (possibly...). For £200 a limited edition Riot in a Jam Jar: 'Snowy? No, not seen him today' limited edition (20), signed by the artists Jimmy Cauty (with cert of authenticity). If we reach our target we'll be in touch with your reward!