Welcome to Goodmayes is an exciting project aimed to get young people involved in the process of creating street art in the borough. Developing the ideas the young people have explored, and guidance from the local residents and surrounding areas, later in the year a street artist will create a mural which will reflect on the vibrancy and diversity of the local community through the overarching theme of creativity and togetherness all in a bid to put Goodmayes on the map as a destination.
In this first phase of the project we want to work with local young residents to design and shape the mural! We will be launching a competition in partnership with surrounding schools and colleges for young people to submit their own designs. Designs will be judged by a panel of local businesses and residents who will select their top 10 designs which will then go to a public vote! The winning design will inspire a local street artist to develop the final mural in the future!
What we'll deliver:
- We will launch a competition with local schools and engage 400 pupils and students
- Produce a week long of virtual street art making activities for young residents
- Create a film to showcase local talent in preparation for a mural
- Carry out a consultation with local residents to identify areas of development for Goodmayes
- A dedicated virtual gallery on our website to showcase all our submissions
Why it's a great idea:
The young group will be able to learn all things spray paint and beyond: from a group of street artists' own experiences and styles; the various street art techniques; the industry, festivals and residencies; and their reflection of Goodmayes in their creations.
This project brings together various groups of the community from young people to local residents as well as new and existing businesses. It anticipates the arrival of Cross rail - Its aim is to provide a high-frequency suburban passenger service crossing London from west to east, to be branded the Elizabeth line, by connecting two major railway lines terminating in London.
This will be a first step to turning Goodmayes into a destination for architecture, art, commerce, cuisine, customs, geography, history, and people. Spotlighting Goodmayes as a hub for local enterprise, a safe place to live and an area bustling with rich culture and leisure.
Steps to get it done:
- Obtain support from local schools and colleges - May 2021
- Launch Street Art competition for young residents - June to August 2021
- Design and Deliver a week long of virtual street art activities - August 2021
- A panel to judge submissions - End of August 2021
- Local residents to vote from our top 10 finalists - End of August to September 2021
For the mural to be crowdfunded in the autumn we would first need to seek permission from TFL and/or National Rail for that specific location. In the event should we not receive it, we will looking to work with local private landlords and developers to seek an alternative location for the mural. We will also look at council owned sites to secure a premises for the new mural. By taking both approaches we will be able to have a direct conversation and easier, quicker sign off to utilise the space.