Wanderers FC, London's oldest football club, and Virgo Fidelis School, South Norwood, are partnering to refurbish their playing fields.
Currently unused for school sport, we are fundraising to complete the following tasks;
- Levelling the surface so that is safe to use. If we don't do this, the field cannot be used for sports,
- Mark out a full-sized pitch,
- Install portable, full-sized goalposts and a full set of corner flags so that the pitch can be used for competitive matches,
- Install ball-stop netting to avoid losing footballs and protect the hedgerows.
Wanderers are hoping to attract commercial support from the local area, as well as contributing club funds, so we are offering sponsors pop-up advertising banners.
Once complete, the school can restart their football teams, the club can hire the pitch from Virgo Fidelis, giving them much needed funds, and Wanderers will put on holiday training sessions for children, with our team of coaches volunteering their time.
What we'll deliver:
- Level and mark the playing surface
- Install full-sized football goals & corner flags
- Erect ball-stop netting
- Provide football sessions for children during school holidays
Why it's a great idea:
Wanderers were formed in 1859 but folded in 1887. Since reforming for charity in 2009, the club have never had a ground to call home. This project brings the club to a venue located close to where the teams currently train.
Virgo Fidelis, like many schools, suffers from a lack of funds and their girls do not have any opportunity to play football once they reach 14 years-old. Their campus is looked after but the playing field has been neglected.
Helping the two organisations solve their respective challenges is a once in a lifetime moment; Wanderers has the ability to pay for pitch hire and a desire to move to a permanent home and Virgo Fidelis has an underutilised venue and a need to maximise their facilities to support their educational provision.
The benefits to the club and school are clear but Gipsy Hill / South Norwood are in 10% of the most deprived areas in England and a refurbished playing field can tackle that with accessible and affordable opportunities to play sport.
Steps to get it done:
- Arrange for contractor to deliver 20 tonnes of beet & loam
- Contractor to spread beet & loam on field
- Treated areas to be rolled flat, seeded, and watered
- 60ft of ball-stop netting to be ordered
- Pair of full-sized adult football goals to be ordered
- Football pitch to be marked out in white paint
- Goals to be erected and rolled into place
- Corner flag holes to be bored and flags installed
- Ball-stop netting poles to be installed
- Site appraisal by Virgo Fidelis staff
- Test event run by Wanderers FC
- Host Wanderers' first competitive fixture
- Rewards for backers to be sent out
We want to reward your support with some great incentives, exclusive to Spacehive.
- Pledge £25+ and we will give you a social media shout out to our fans on Twitter (no limit),
- Pledge £50+ and we will add your name to our website publicly thanking you for your generosity (no limit),
- Pledge £100+ and we will invite you to attend our special test match (maximum 30 people only),
- Pledge £250+ and we will give you a personalised home or away Wanderers jersey, available in men's or women's styles (first 20 people only),
- Pledge £500+ and we will place an advertising banner at every home game publicising your company or charity of choice (maximum 4 people only).