The launch of our art book is an incredible opportunity to shout about the amazing talent of local artists, proving to anyone in Havering considering getting more involved with the arts that anything is possible. In addition to a community launch and exhibition, we are producing a full-colour book of exciting artists and creatives from Havering and giving it away for free to local secondary schools, libraries, project partners and artists.
'The Thing About Artists' features a brilliant mix of mid-career to established artists working in a wide range of urban styles, showing the wonderful creations of 60 artists and delving into their world of creative talent.
£10+ limited edition Brennan & Burch notebook and postcard
£25+ your personal pre-release copy of The Thing About Artists book in Spring 2021
£100+ pre-release book and 2 VIP tickets to meet artists at official launch party
What we'll deliver:
- Create a pop-up installation in Mercury Mall showing all artists work
- Launch book in Havering Libraries through artist talks and art displays
- Hold book launch allowing artists to meet press, artists, art connectors, art buyers and local businesses
- Hold private view, exhibition and schools visit in Fry's Gallery at Fairkytes
- Print 500 full colour A4 art books
- Deliver 25 free copies of books to all project partners
- Deliver 10 free copies of books to all Havering Libraries
- Deliver 25 free copies of books to Art Departments in all Havering secondary schools/sixth form
- Deliver 60 free copies of books to local artists to help promote their work
Why it's a great idea:
Our local area has a developing art scene with a number of talented artists to introduce. Artists can use the book to get jobs and share their amazing artwork with community.
Havering College need our book to show potential students what local artists have achieved and why they should sign up for local art courses.
Havering Changing plan to use our artist interviews to show how local artists got started.
Havering Arts Co-ordinator will work with school art departments to arrange class visits by school children 11-16 to our exhibition at Fairkytes art centre so they too can be inspired by local artists. Havering secondary schools will receive free books for art departments. Children who no longer have access to art due to budget cuts can use book as a resource.
Library users not traditionally exposed to art can attend art talks we will deliver at local libraries. Havering Library branches will launch our book via displays/competitions and receive free copies to loan to local people.
Steps to get it done:
- Select artists, interview them and receive their work
- Design and layout book
- Create digital version of book
- Create artist posters to promote book
- Print 500 copies of the book, 2500 postcards and 2500 leaflets
- Hold book launch and pop-up event in Mercury Mall shopping centre in Romford, Essex
- Hold library launch, library talks and deliver 10 free copies of books to all Havering libraries
- Hold private view and exhibition at Fairkytes Art Centre in Hornchurch, Essex
- Invite schools to Fairkytes and deliver 25 free copies of books to Art depts of Havering secondary schools/sixth forms
- Deliver 60 free copies of books to all featured artists
- Deliver 25 free copies of book to all local project partners
- Deliver postcards, notebooks, books and VIP launch invites to Spacehive backers
- Sell 50 copies of book at events and via website to help meet project costs
By pledging to this project, you will enable us to carry on work we have started to support local artists.
Havering Changing believe in what we are doing and have supported initial stages of the project to create a digital version of the book.
We now need to print and distribute the book and carry out the book launch and exhibitions. Our book will help artists and inspire future generations.
'The Thing About Artists' book will be the first of a series of books we are planning to create with local community groups working with care leavers, older people, homeless people and mental health service users.
Our second book will feature artwork from looked after children and care leavers in Havering. We will mentor the young people and artists from 'The Thing About Artists' will teach them valuable and diverse new art skills.
Brennan & Burch is an indie company and we cannot produce this book without external help. Your pledge will make Havering more vibrant by making art more visible.