The Square - a project developed by The Line in partnership with the Canal & River Trust - will create a new focal point for The Line on the River Lea and its launch will celebrate the opening of the London Legacy Development Corporation’s Twelvetrees Ramp - a Leaway project - allowing a continuous river walk from The Line's favourite attractions - the House Mill and Cody Dock.
This will completely transform people's experience of walking The Line. We are thrilled to announce that the artist Michael Craig-Martin has agreed to loan one of his iconic sculptures for The Square on The Line site. The Line is inviting the public to vote for their favourite sculpture out of a choice of three through the website and app ArtStack: http://www.theartstack.com/tag/TheSquare
What we'll deliver:
- De-install the work and return it to the Lender at the end of the loan period.
- Host a launch event at the site
- Install an artwork by Michael Craig-Martin at Bow Locks.
- Maintain the work for the duration of the loan
- Prepare and submit a planning application to Newham Council
- Promote the project and engage local residents with The Square, including running an eduational workshop.
Why it's a great idea:
The Line was initiated through a Spacehive crowdfunding campaign and opened in May 2015. The project has attracted thousands of visitors since it opened. The Line is pleased to be working with the Canal & River Trust on this next exciting development, The Square, which offers the public an opportunity to be involved in the curation of The Line. The Square isn't a commission - the selected work by Michael Craig-Martin already exists - so, subject to this crowdfunding campaign being successful, and us receiving planning approval, it will be possible to install the work later this year. The installation of the sculpture will not only encourage new walkers to the route but will also encourage previous walkers to return. Visitors will be able to continue their discovery of the rich heritage of London’s waterways and canals alongside world-class contemporary art.
Steps to get it done:
- Engage The Line's technical partners (AKTII engineers and Mtec) to install the chosen art work.
- Install the artwork and prepare launch activities.
- Prepare and sign legal agreements with landowner (Canal & River Trust) and the lender of the artwork.
- Prepare and submit a planning application to London Borough of Newham.
To vote please follow the link: