Bluebell Wood is a 7 acre ancient woodland in the centre of Cheshire. A clearing by the stream ensures there is plenty to do for school visits, scout camps, toddler groups, and also pottery classes, bushcraft, foraging, art, music or simply to escape and relax.
We have successfully hosted many workshops for various local members of the community, but to ensure we can do so with minimum cost to others we need funding to make the site truly fit for for purpose.
We need a Treebog.
A Treebog is a composting toilet, built 5 feet above the ground. The 'long drop' is then screened and planted with Willows (or which we have plenty). These trees thrive with all the regular 'nutrients' on their roots and will be regularly coppiced to provide willow whips for various craft activitiesand even fencing in the woods.
We need a carpark surface
The clay car park will not hold up in winter
We need some shelter
We cannot deny the British weather, Shelter ensures courses can continue regardless
What we'll deliver:
- A quality, sustainable toilet solution
- More long courses and workshops offered to the community, as we cannot do this without a proper toilet
- A solid, year round car park
- Shelter and storage inside the woodland
- Covered space to enable workshops etc to continue in all conditions
Why it's a great idea:
Bluebell Wood is all about getting out of the office, the home, away from the laptop and smartphone! Being in the great outdoors, whether learning through play and exploration, doing a course on foraging, firelighting or bushcraft is what we want to encourage.
All these plans and more need the site to be practical as well as appealing. The most pressing need it the Treebog. We also need fund a ground covering for the 15 bay carpark as it is quickly turning to mud in the winter months, then finally a fieldshelter-cum-classroom for days when the weather is against us, groups can still meet and utilise the amazing views from a dry building at the top of the hill
Steps to get it done:
- Treebog - Buying the 'Shed'
- Treebog - Building the platform and shed and fittings
- Car Park - Installing the mesh system on the carpark
- Shelter - Buying and Setting up the woodland shelter
- Shelter - Building the Field Shelter/Classroom