We are working closely with the council to finalise the designs and secure planning permission. We will keep you updated on our progress and no money will be transferred to the project until planning permission is secured.
Independent Businesses #OnSmithStreet and local Cycling group Warwick Amateur Cycling Club are committed to raising the profile of our area and address a number of environmental challenges we currently face, with congestion worsening the environmental conditions locally. We'd like our street to be healthier, safer and cycle friendly, and we feel providing bike storage is an important part of this objective. By installing these unique pieces of street furniture on Smith Street, we hope cycling will be planted firmly in the mind of local road users.
To give our street a focal point we'd like to Customise our Cycle Stands to promote our unique history and local Identity, and we'd like to get our local community involved in the design process.
What we'll deliver:
- Provide local residents and visitors with a base to leave their bikes whilst visiting Smith Street
- Encourage cycling within the local community to reduce pollution and congestion on our High Street
- Improve signage on the street, benefiting over 50 local independent business
- Create a focal point for visitors to the town, acting as a gateway for visitors from the train station.
Why it's a great idea:
The importance of getting more people cycling has never been greater, as there is increasing recognition that cycling has the potential to help reduce climate change, support economic growth, promote equality of opportunity, contributing to better safety, security, health and improving quality of life.
Steps to get it done:
- Seek design ideas from the public and local students
- Choose a selection of Ideas to move forward for public votes
- Confirm final design and clear with local council departments
- Send final design out for quotes from suppliers
- Commission agreed supplier to create the installations
- Promote our new Cycle hub within the Community and on social media
- All large donations that helped make it happen, will be added to our wall of Contributors