We need you to help us start a new social farming enterprise here in Greenwich, growing delicious, fresh vegetables, salad, herbs & flowers & selling them locally. On part of the wonderful Woodlands Farm, we want to grow large volumes of food with love, care, with & for our community.
Food grown using regenerative agricultural techniques that enhance the environment, biodiversity, soil fertility & provide beauty. That recycle rain to water the crops, and use Londoners’ green waste to feed them!
A place where all members of the local community can come, to connect with each other, to the land, and to celebrate and enjoy the food we eat. A place to learn.
We want to make good food accessible to all. We want to share our belief in the power of food growing to bring people together: young & old, those with multiple needs & those just wanting to spend time in nature.
With your donations, ideas & volunteering, we can transform this space into a beautiful, thriving, social enterprise.
What we'll deliver:
- A beautiful farm on 2 acres of land, producing fresh vegetables + flowers
- 300+ Open Days, Volunteering sessions, Community Feasts, Harvest Dinners
- 1500+ Visits/Workshops with school children
- Participation of our local community to explore what activities and food you want to see grown
- 100,000+ nutritious portions of one of your five-a-day veg!
Why it's a great idea:
This is about hope, practical action, community spirit, a love of our planet, and belief in the power of food. Our current food system is not fit for purpose, contributing to the climate crisis & biodiversity collapse, obesity and rising food poverty here in Greenwich as elsewhere.
Yet the food system offers huge potential to solve these problems, and to be a joyful source of connection, nourishment, pleasure, creativity and local jobs. Our vision is a world where the food we grow and eat nourishes both people & planet. A small, regenerative farm like this, selling locally and being an active part of our community can bring transformative social, health & environmental benefits.
We know that London and other cities offer huge untapped potential for growing good food! We want to grow food with and for our community, making delicious, fresh, healthy, environmentally-friendly produce more widely available and spreading the word about the changes needed in the food system.
Steps to get it done:
- Work with local schools, GPs, Housing Associations & residents to explore what food + activities you want to see created
- Seeds , plants, tools & compost bought
- 100+ new beds & woodchip paths created
- Polytunnels and rainwater harvesting system installed
- Seedlings & plants transplanted into beds
- Harvesting crops, opening to the public and selling produce locally!
- Volunteering, school visits, community events up and running!
We hope to organise a Feast in the Field in the summer to celebrate our first harvests, and would like to invite all our local community donors along for free.
In addition, we would like to offer our generous donors the following:
£25 Entry into raffle: 5 winners in the local area will receive a Weekly Box of seasonal veg and flowers box for a month
£50 Entry into raffle: 5 winners will receive a Home Growers’ Pack including a curated seedlings collection of delicious herbs and vegetables, organic compost & growing advice
£100+ an additional fruit bush/tree will be planted in your honour
£250+ a bed named after you
£500+ a wooden plaque engraved with your name in the polytunnel
£1000+ a brass/copper plaque with your name in the polytunnel
£10,000+ a polytunnel named after you!
We have allocated 5% of our budget to contingency funds: if we find we don't need this we will use it to fund additional community activities.