Seymour Primary is working with the sustainable transport charity, Sustrans. This work has aimed on empowering children to make the move toward travelling to school in a more sustainable way, namely cycling. The importance of cycling and as a mode of transport has never been higher and is seen as a key component to combating issues such as climate change, traffic congestion and lack of physical activity.
Currently the bicycles are spending many days in the rain and unsecured. This has been a barrier to further increasing numbers of children actively travelling to school. We would love to see more children empowered to make the move toward active travel at Seymour Primary.
What we'll deliver:
- We want to install a covered bicycle shelter for increasing numbers of bicycles arriving at school.
- Encourage further children to actively cycle to school.
- We want to link the cycling with the broader benefits for children such as health, learning and confidence.
Why it's a great idea:
Seymour Primary is growing the numbers of children who cycle to school and increasing children’s levels of physical activity and health whilst combating issues such as traffic congestion and air pollution in the area.
Steps to get it done:
- Pave area ready for Bike racks
- Create paved access to bike racks
- Purchase and build bike/scooter shelters