The Oundle Recreation and Greenspaces Group, (ORGSG) is a community group set up in 2015 to protect the town’s accessible greenspaces.
We are launching this Community wide Crowdfunding bid to seek contributions towards the purchase of Fletton Field in the centre of Oundle. We have secured 80% of the funds towards our bid to Northamptonshire County Council. This crowdfunding we hope will secure the remaining 20%.
There is no other place in Oundle with the same depth of feeling.
• Fletton field was the Primary School's playing field until 2016. Prior to this it was the allotment of the Workhouse, sold to the Poor of Oundle by the Smith's brewing family.
• The site was put up for sale by the current land owner, Northamptonshire County Council (NCC).
• We want to secure this special place for future generations of Oundle residents to enjoy.
What we'll deliver:
- Purchase Fletton Field from Northamptionshire County Council
- Hold and manage the land in Trust, for current and future generations
- Provide high quality greenspace and playing field to all Oundle's residents
Why it's a great idea:
Parks and green spaces are proven to help people stay physically and mentally well; places where we can all move, breathe, run and play. They are an important tool to drive social cohesion, combat loneliness and build community spirit. (Fields in Trust)
Oundle already has a lack of accessible greenspace. 10 times less per person than Raunds, and 5 times less than Burton Latimer. Losing this field will further reduce Oundle’s accessible amenity greenspace by 40%.
The location of Fletton Field makes it particularly important. It's close proximity to local sheltered housing, care homes, Fletton House (the Community Hub centre), the Doctors surgery and the Library makes this site the most widely accessible green space within the town.
If NCC choose our bid, we will set up a charity to manage this field, for all, for all time.
Steps to get it done:
- Raising sufficient pledges to place a bid to Northamptonshire County Council