The Riverside Way is a 9.6 miles long linear footpath, and could be a fantastic resource for Holme valley residents (linking several of the villages such as Holme, Holmbridge, Honley and Armitage Bridge via Holmfirth town centre). The footpath ends in the centre of Huddersfield, and could be used for commuting and accessing the town centre. The path traverses a mix of habitats from open meadows to ancient semi-natural woodland, and passes numerous sites of industrial heritage.
A detailed walkover survey and report identified a wide variety of work that is required to improve the route, and includes costs for the works.
A project officer will lead volunteer tasks, to deliver much of the route improvement work, during the one year project.
What we'll deliver:
- Remedial work at 16 locations
- 20 practical volunteering sessions for local people
- Re-launch of the Riverside Way
- Re-waymark the whole Riverside Way route
Why it's a great idea:
The whole community will benefit from an improved “Riverside Way” and it has the potential to be a significant asset to the Holme Valley for recreation, tourism and the promotion of active transport.
The route improvements will result in mental and physical health benefits to local people (and especially to those members of the community in disadvantaged areas of Huddersfield) as they will be able to utilise this lovely footpath. Local volunteers mental and physical health will benefit from the opportunities offered during the project. The improved footpath should result in increased active transport (walking and cycling along sections of the route). This should lead to a reduction in car journeys locally, and associated carbon dioxide emissions.
Steps to get it done:
- Project launch (social media, press release, request for new volunteers)
- Request for quotations from contractors (for specialist work)
- Simple capital works commence with volunteers (vegetation management, installation of waymarking posts and roundels)
- Specialist capital works commence (contractors)
- Completion of all specialist capital works
- Completion of all simple capital works with volunteers (20 tasks)
- Project reporting, evaluation and project completion