REclaim is all about creative recycling and the main event will be a free entry, inclusive festival centred around Coronation Green, Shoreham-by-Sea on the second May Bank Holiday weekend 2019 (25 to 27 May). There will also be activities and events in venues across Adur from January to June.
The weekend festival will feature lots of recycling themed events each day for all ages, to promote creative reuse, recycling and sustainability. Make an instrument and be in a junk orchestra, make poetry from discarded texts or add to a giant community collage! Be inspired by or even take part in a recycled fashion show or recycled sculpture exhibition! Book on a printing, beach art or jewellery making workshop or drop in to family junk modelling sessions or preschool messy play. Buy refreshments and eco-friendly products from local sustainable traders and get expert help from local organisations on waste reduction, repair, recycling, sustainability.
What we'll deliver:
- Put on a free entry, community recycling themed weekend festival in Shoreham-by-Sea in May 2019.
- Put on creative recycling themed participatory activities in Adur from January to June 2019
- Equip people with inspiration, knowledge and enthusiasm to respond to the challenge of waste reduction.
- Provide fun, feel good, social activities to bring people together in a positive way!
Why it's a great idea:
The project will reach all ages, abilities and interests and is very much inspired by the need to help address pressing global concerns about waste reduction and sustainability. On a local level, the imminent reduction in residential waste collections means there is a pressing need to get inspired and knowledgeable about how to reduce, reuse and recycle waste. We hope to encourage a change in mindset to thinking of discarded materials as a resource rather than rubbish.
This project will also be a fun community celebration, giving people a reason and opportunity to come together in a shared creative experience, which is great for mental health and wellbeing and to help ease isolation in people's lives. In the absence of other events from the community calendar this coming spring and summer, we hope this inclusive and large scale project will be bring some much needed positive cheer to Adur!
Steps to get it done:
- Book festival infrastructure for Coronation Green (marquee, toilets, security, insurance etc)
- Invite traders and relevant organisations to book stalls and information stands
- Book junk orchestra workshop leader and performance director
- Build recycled fashion show catwalk
- Schedule bookable workshops, drop in activities and performances throughout festival weekend
- Schedule pre festival weekend activities
- Put out call for entries for recycled sculpture competition
- Compile festival timetable of events and produce printed and online versions
- Call for volunteers to help with specific tasks
- Confirm weekend festival plan with district council events team (including TENS, charitable collection permit)
We will be collaborating with other local organisations for different aspects of REclaim, including the following:-
REfashion: the recycled fashion show will be produced in conjunction with Emmaus Brighton & Hove and Emmaus by the Sea.
REwrite: recycling activities using discarded text will be run in conjunction with Adur libraries (Lancing, Shoreham and Southwick) and Shoreham Wordfest.
REmodel: a recycled sculpture competition and exhibition will be run in conjunction with The Skyway Gallery at the Shoreham Centre.
REfuel: Eat Food Love Food will be coordinating a sustainable refreshments area.