Our vision is that every mama has the hope, confidence and the essentials she needs to provide for her baby in its first 6 months.
Mama to Mama was set up by two Margate Mamas in response to a clear need in our community which has only been exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic. Too many women around us are living in poverty, fleeing domestic abuse or leaving the care system, and struggling to afford the essentials they need for themselves and their new babies.
At the same time, we know that an astonishing 183 million items of outgrown baby clothing are stashed in UK homes, and 1/3 of parents have said they've thrown clothing in the bin, not knowing what else to do with it.
Mama to Mama will take preloved baby clothes and essentials, and edit them into beautiful collections for gifting to vulnerable expectant mamas in Thanet. Spreading hope while reducing landfill waste.
With your help we can build a service that will be embedded in our community for years to come.
What we'll deliver:
- Support at least 20 vulnerable mamas every month with curated boxes of preloved baby clothes and essentials
- Secure a space for storing and sorting donations, and bringing together volunteers and local mamas
- Set up the systems and logistics to run the project effectively into the future
- A peer-support network for local mamas
- Further fundraising and partnerships development to enable the project to continue in the long-term
Why it's a great idea:
Thanet contains some of the most deprived communities in the country, where the circumstances of many families have been exacerbated by the Covid-19 pandemic. The mamas that we will be supporting are referred to us through social care, and are unable to afford the essentials that they need for themselves and their babies.
We hope that our boxes will relieve some of the financial and emotional stresses, and provide a boost to the mamas' self-worth and wellbeing, enabling them to focus on being mums, and enjoying their new babies.
Taking donations of preloved baby clothing and essentials, we are giving these items a new life and, crucially, diverting them from landfill.
This is a project led by mamas for mamas, and we will provide volunteering opportunities, helping to reduce loneliness and isolation after what has been a difficult year for new mothers in particular, and contributing to social cohesion.
Steps to get it done:
- Month 3: total of 60 boxes delivered
- Month 6: total of 120 boxes delivered
- Storage/community space secured
- Month 9: total of 180 boxes delivered
- Month 12: total of 240 boxes delivered
- Fully functioning website created
- Further funds and partnerships secured to ensure ongoing sustainability