Shape your local area by creating exciting & diverse projects in Brent - pledges of £2,000 available
Our goal is to reinvigorate five unused Wembley High Street retail units through meanwhile lease arrangements. These are in place till Nov 2015 and are expected to continue till Jan 2016.
Funds will cover non-revenue costs, including PCs, instruments, refurbishment, kitchenware, essentially items allowing us to run activities and services.
Delivery partners will assist us and benefit from rent free space to run activities, which will be open to all who access Wembley Central.
Various resources are being pulled into the project to “make things happen” and the total project value is £36,130. We have already secured a significant amount of £11,180, with £20k being requested from the Mayor's fund and a further £5k from cash donations.
Growth is emphasised in our project, as we will support local regeneration with the new development, support enterprise and employment, increase footfall .
The end result is a vibrant, visible, engaged and empowered community.
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
The inspiration and importance of the project are linked to it supporting the community which has a high proportion of residents with major barriers to upward social mobility. Statistics tell us the ward is one of Brent’s most financially excluded and most in need of affordable credit. Figures also highlight that household income is significantly less well-off than its surroundings. We believe this is an great idea because
*The initiative contributes to the overall growth and improvement of local life in Wembley central and surrounding areas.
* It does this through enhancing the aesthetic appearance of the high street by refurbishing and putting to use an abandoned corner of the high road which will be used to deliver subsidised life enhancing services. *These include quality education, skills development and training and recreation.
* Outside of this there will be employment and volunteering opportunities for locals, plus the support of local community led development strategies.
Steps to get it done:
CVS Brent has a long track record of delivering projects benefiting local communities including:
- Managing Well London Chalkhill (a project aimed at decreasing health inequalities experienced by Chalkhill residents);
- Supporting the Department of Media & Culture with the Digital Switch Over, via 4G Light Up Digital Outreach, through community outreach among Brent's voluntary and community sector
- Supporting and working with Brent hospitals and surgeries to promote information regarding recent important changes to local Accident & Emergency services
- Being a charity CVS Brent not only has an understanding but also a track record and commitment of managing charitable - income in accordance with funding agreements and best practice.
In addition CVS Brent has:
- Strong user involvement helping with the delivery of its projects and an active trustee board overseeing the strategic direction of the organisation.
- Experienced community development practitioners as staff
About the space
London Borough of Brent