The Masbro Centre is a vibrant community centre with over a 1000 visitors each week.
In 2018, we began to explore the feasibility of generating our own electricity. After lots of advice & support and from partners, we have now received planning permission to have 64 solar panels installed.
As an integral part of the Hammersmith & Fulham Community we are not only committed to reducing our carbon footprint but also to continue to deliver a diverse range of services to improve the health, wealth and wellbeing of our community. The money saved by generating our own power this way will be used on community projects that meet the emerging needs of the community we serve.
We would launch our new panels with a 'Community Clear Up' day. This would be run in conjunction with the Elders Tea Club, The Community Champions, The Masbro Youth Club and The Children's Centre. We would also invite local schools to take part and host an 'eco tips' pop up information tent on to help spread the word!
What we'll deliver:
- Masbro will generate its own green energy source, approximately 19,000kwh per year
- Money saved or generated, estimated at £65k over 20 years, will be spent on community projects
- Over 11,000kg of CO2 emissions will be avoided each year
Why it's a great idea:
We are a charity and every penny counts, therefore money saved will go towards much needed community projects and help with the upkeep of the 'jewel' that is the Masbro Community Centre.
We offer a range of services (over 100 activities each week) for the people of Hammersmith and Fulham including a children's centre, a youth club, parenting support, outreach for families, employment advice and training, pottery and art classes and an Elders Tea club as well as a range of fitness and leisure activities available to all.
Not only will we be saving money in the long term, along with other green initiatives we have adopted, we want to play our part in tackling the climate change emergency.
The Masbro Centre wants to help in protecting the planet as well as to continue to serve the people of Hammersmith and Fulham especially those who suffer from inequality, social exclusion or come from disadvantaged groups.
Steps to get it done:
- Prepare the Masbro for installation
- Installation of the Panels
- Testing the equipment
- Grand Launch - Community Clear Up & Eco Information Day
Through a holistic programme of activities the Urban Partnership Groups aims to:
1. Enhance and promote the health, wealth and well-being of people in the Borough of Hammersmith & Fulham and surrounding areas.
2. Reduce inequalities and remove discrimination and other causes of social exclusion in disadvantaged groups and communities in order to ensure that Hammersmith & Fulham is a place where everyone has the opportunity to live healthily and prosperously, in tolerant, caring communities.
3. Rebuild communities and improve opportunities for disadvantaged people to participate in work and other aspects of community life.
4. Continually improve the delivery of services and implement innovative solutions to meet changing local needs and community aspirations.
Key services include:
- Older peoples services
- The Masbro Youth Club
- Parenting support
- Training and employment support
- Community & Maternity Champions projects
- Nursery's & Children Centre