A group of local people, united under the name Clapton Commons, has seized the chance to turn the abandoned eyesore into a beautiful new community kitchen and meeting place - Liberty Hall.
With the charity, Made In Hackney, we’ll use the Hall to provide a community cookery school - sharing simple and fun ideas that will transform people's lives by helping to reduce the shocking health inequalities in London, and rising levels of obesity.
Every month, we’ll host community meals. These will be accessible to everybody, including local communities who keep kosher.
The Hall will be made available for community use, and the surrounding area will be landscaped to maximise biodiversity.
What we'll deliver:
- Tackle health problem such as obesity
- Reduce social isolation
- Make the most of the extraordinarily diverse local community
- Share life changing skills
Why it's a great idea:
This isn’t a distant dream. We’re doing it already. We’ve secured planning permission, common land consent, and financial backing from Hackney Council to deliver the shell.
But there's more to do, and the clock is ticking. We need your help to fund the fit out before this wonderful opportunity is lost.
If we don't get the money we need, the council will have to do something else with the building.
This unique part of London hasn’t always enjoyed a great reputation. But people in the area know its potential is amazing. And this isn't about "gentrification" but making the very best of the community we already have.
All we need is a place to meet, learn, share, support and get to know each other.
We need Liberty Hall. So please give generously - and don't forget to share this page with others.
Steps to get it done:
- September 17th: Sign off by Hackney Council of project funding for shell
- October 1st: Re-apply to Greener Cities Fund for £17.5k
- October 7th: Launch party of fundraiser
- October: Sign contracts with Hackney Council and Made in Hackney
- October – January: Deliver outreach activities to consult neighbours in design of community garden around Liberty Hall
- November: Contractor for shell of Liberty Hall begins on site - 6 months
- November: Devising comms strategy and volunteer recruitment
- December: Winter communal meal
- March: Spring communal meal
- January 2019: Purchase coffee kiosk equipment and promote barista training course
- April: Contractor for interior fit-out of Liberty Hall begins on site - 6 weeks
- May: Create and landscape the community garden
- May: Install kitchen and white goods
- May: Install coffee kiosk
- March-May: Design and build community table
- April- May: Design and build cycle repair station and appoint mechanic
- April- May: Design and build flower stall and appoint florist
- May: Soft opening
- June: Made in Hackney running community cooking workshops
- July: Official opening, summer party with Mayors of London and Hackney
- September: Launch of events programme / first barista apprentice active
- October: Annual review of activities to date