For one day in July 2020 Watford Colosseum will be filled with the sounds of music making, laughter, celebration and joy. The ‘Lord of the Rings’ film soundtrack was recorded in this fantastic venue. This will be a similarly epic enterprise!
Activities will include:
- music making
- signing and singing
- music composition
- bucket drumming
- visual arts
Building to a live performance for friends and family at the end of the day.
Young people from ten SEND schools will work alongside professional musicians and artists, their teachers, young dance and music-making leaders from Silverbirch Dance and Herts Inclusive Theatre, young musicians from school and county orchestras, and older peers from other special schools.
What we'll deliver:
- Young people across the county will make live music together in a spectacular venue
- Disabled and able-bodied young people will work together producing music of the highest quality
- We will give disabled young people access to professional musicians creating unforgettable memories
Why it's a great idea:
This is a great idea because it will give SEND young people access to music making at the highest possible level. It will give them the opportunity to gain new skills and confidence in their abilities, make new friends, have fun and create an unforgettable memory.
It will give musicians, artists and young arts leaders experience and confidence in working with SEND young people.
Families will see just how much their young person can achieve and raise awareness of other cultural activities they can participate in.
Steps to get it done:
- Draw up detailed action plan with roles and responsibilities
- Inform schools of project and asking for expression of interest
- Link event to activities supporting ArtsMark and Arts Award in Herts schools
- Promote the event as a new collaboration in Herts Year of Culture 2020
- Commission professional creative workshop leaders
- Draw up guidelines on running an event of this type, shared through Creative Hertfordshire
- Liaise with schools, venue, workshop leaders, young voluteers in the development of project
- Providing a skill-sharing seminar before the event with practitioners, teachers and young volunteers
- Run event
- Evaluate and write up report on event
Watford Colosseum is an internationally-reknown venue for enjoying live music, and it is an inspiring venue for music, theatre and the arts.
Hertfordshire is celebrating a Year of Culture in 2020, promoting opportunities for all its residents and visitors to try new cultural activities.
There will be an opportunity for some young people to support the production of the event, in line with other partners.