'First Words in Dalston' was launched in February 2021 and will run until summer 2022.
People have been invited to contribute the first sentence from any publication by sending photos of the text and a recording of themselves reading it. This material has become the content of a Covid-safe visual and audio art installation on the east end hoardings erected within Dalston Square, London.
In late spring we will incorporate new material supplied by local schools, residents of the square, library staff, youth groups and many others on the remaining hoardings of around 200m. This installation will be completed summer 2021.
Our Spacehive project is a shout out to the crowd to join in contributing first sentences and to raise money for the project management and curation and delivery of regular Covid-safe public activities by diverse people/organisations around the art installation in the square.
What we'll deliver:
- Establish a curatorial team
- Host a minimum of one monthly public event for eight months, a total of eight events
- Create an archive of those events
Why it's a great idea:
Create an opportunity for many people and organisations to participate in cultural and creative activities and events in a Covid-safe way.
Promote a sense of community connection.
Create interest and delight during what is essential a very large and dull construction project.
Inspire passersby with chance encounters.
Steps to get it done:
- Establishing the curatorial panel 05/21
- Identifying and invite potential individuals/organisation to lead events 06/21
- Invite local volunteers (individuals and organisations) to support events 06/21 - 04/22
- Confirm permissions/insurance/covid-safe access and other specific event logistics 06/21 - 04/22
- Creating the programme of events 07/21 - 04/22
- Advertise via physical and online channels 07/21 - 04/22
- Stage events 07/21 - 04/22
- Archive material to record the experiences 07/21 - 05/22