Our Fiestas will be vibrant quarterly events in the Whitley Bay calendar. The programmes will involve people of all ages, cultures and abilities. Each event will include market stalls, food, entertainment and free participatory activities.
Fiesta will be located on two sites – the town centre & St. Paul’s Church and grounds. The events will coincide with the seasons – March, June, September and December & will be held on Sundays from 11.00 a.m. until 4.00 p.m.
The purposes of Fiesta:
• Provide events run by the local residents for the local community
• Attract people into the town centre
• Encourage use of the green space at St. Paul’s Church
• Provide free participatory activities
• Opportunity for local performers, artists & makers to present their work
• Develop partnerships
We will create opportunities for people to tell us what they think about the events and how Fiesta can develop & improve. People will be welcome & encouraged to become involved to make things happen.
What we'll deliver:
- Enable continued use of multi coloured gazebos, tables, chairs, banners
- Road closures for the events
- Maintain use of sound equipment
- Ensure that Fiesta Whitley Bay continues to be a quality event with abroad offer
Why it's a great idea:
Fiesta will provide colour & vibrancy to the town centre & the St. Paul’s Church site through the multi-coloured market gazeboes & performances.
Local residents, particularly those living close to the town centre, will be able to access a multi facetted event in their locality. Children & young people will benefit from the creative activities & community games provided at each event.
Residents will access the underused green space around the church.
Local creative people – artists, makers and performers – will benefit from the market & performance opportunities.
Local businesses will benefit because people will be attracted to the town centre on Sundays by Fiesta & will use local shops, cafes & eateries during the event. Members of the Chamber of Trade have expressed the need for more activities to attract people to the town centre, particularly on Sundays.
The Council & Big Local will be able to consult & inform local residents about issues & services.
Develop community & wellbeing.
Steps to get it done:
- Generate sufficient income from stall fees & fundraising activities to cover logistics costs
- Build on the activites developed during the pilots - market, music and creative acyivities
- Develop a sports & activities programme
- Recruit & train more volunteers
- Improve mechanisms for consulting and involving the local community in Fiesta
Fiesta will provide people with the opportunity to engage in activities together after the limitations due to the pandemic.
Fiesta offers opportunities to engage in free creative activities & community games that are different at each event. They can easily be recreated in people's homes using recycled/repurposed materials.
The event is run by volunteers and provides volunteering opportunities such as stewarding & facilitating activities.
Fiesta will work in partnership with the Council & sports organisations to encourage involvement in physical activity either as participants or spectators.
Fiesta will encourage people to use the green space around St. Paul's Church. Organisers will ensure minimum impact on the environment by maximising recycling & repurposing materials. The market & information stalls encourage people to care for the environment and plant & grow their own flowers & vegetables.
Local artists & makers can test & sell their products by having a stall at Fiesta.