Like many people we often buy things that we use just that once and then pack away or see things in the shop that we desperately need but cannot afford to buy. In partnership with the local Transition Town, we are creating a Library of Things in our vibrant library space in Crystal Palace. All the 'thing's in the hub will be owned by the Library hub but offered at low cost to people who want to borrow them when they need it. We want to inspire and support people in our community to spend less, waste less and share more. The Crystal Palace Library of Things will help our community to build a powerful sharing economy and will facilitate knowledge and skills sharing. It will also create an opportunity for local residents to connect and network with others from this richly diverse community.
What we'll deliver:
- Design and build display cabinets for our 'things'
- Premium stock and inventory system
- Build a shed for storing bulky items
- Organise community events and 'how to' workshops
- Volunteers and Marketing
- Insurance, maintenance and fees
Why it's a great idea:
Our project is unique and different. Why? It reinvents Libraries for the 21st Century, alongside books we can offer a wide range of 'things' that can greatly broaden the lending experience and introduce a whole new dimension to what a library is. Besides, it cuts down on wasteful purchases, reduces landfill, saves money and saves storage space, always at a premium in London. We are also creating a strong environment for community learning, education, culture and ideas. We are supporting people to lead clutter free lifestyles at home and offering our richly diverse community a chance to access useful items that they don't want, or are unable to buy.
Steps to get it done:
- Attend workshops organised by the West Norwood Library of Things by April 2017
- Conduct further research to understand how the Library of Things work and Impact by April 2017
- Engage volunteers from the community in discussions share our vision and create buy-in by May 2017
- Recruit volunteers to support wider consultation with local residents between May and August 2017
- Develop a detailed business plan
- Develop a communication and marketing strategy working closely with volunteers
- Paper design of storage and cabinets by early August 2017
- Identify wish list through consultations, outreach and discussions with volunteers
- Insurance, maintenance, workshops, community events planning and creating lend engine, catalogue etc
- Construct/purchase shed and cabinets
- Purchase of things from October/November 2017 onwards and provide training to volunteers
- Library of Things up and running by 1st December 2017
We have a great location right on the main triangle shopping area of Crystal Palace.We already have drawn up a community wish-list of 'things' that local people want to borrow and a group of volunteers ready to help make this a reality! We have identified a great location in the Library ! We also have a lend-engine ready to go !