The Green Street Neighbourhood team identified a piece of land which has never been used.
The neighbourhood is characterised by densely packed terraced housing and consequently the area has one of the lowest amounts of green space in Newham. In light of this, we would like to work with residents and partners to make best use of the spaces that are available, and to bring more underused and disused spaces into use for the local community.
The piece of land identified, is located on Boleyn Road and would be an ideal urban space which could be transformed into a community garden.
We would like to work with residents from all ages and create a much needed space for people to meet and grow their own produce. We would like to also change the perception of the area and to reduce the anti-social behaviour in the area and in particular eradicating the fly tipping issue.
What we'll deliver:
Why it's a great idea:
We think that transforming the unused piece of land on Boleyn Road into a community garden is a great idea because:
- it can greatly reduce the anti-social behaviour in the area i.e. fly tipping and littering and change people's perception of the area
- it can bring the community together and improve community resilience
- the use of the therapeutic powers of gardening can help our residents to build self esteem and motivation
- through participation in this project people will have a direct impact on their local environment by creating better local green spaces
- people will be more active which can drastically improve their health and well-being
- it will be an additional green space where people can relax and meet new friends and reduce social isolation especially within the elderly residents
Steps to get it done:
The Green Street Neighbourhood team would like to encourage and support a more sustainable future for the Green Street neighbourhood through increasing awareness of local needs and where possible supporting projects that create a positive benefit for people who live, work and visit the community now and for the future. The Green Street area is one of the most deprived areas in the country and we believe that by improving the local environment and creating new green spaces/community gardens for people to enjoy, will create a sense of community and reduce the anti-social behaviour issues in the area. It will also create a cleaner street and public space environment in the neighbourhood as by changing people's perception of the area, we can tackle endemic issues around rubbish dumping, pigeon feeding and residents leaving waste in their front gardens. Improving the local area will consequently bring new investment in the area and improve the local economy.
Post a Comment