Our dream is to create a space for humans and animals to come together and enjoy as a community. We will provide dog day care, walkies and training – with an awesome plant-based café. But Barkney Wick will be far more than this.
We want to positively engage with and further forge the community of Hackney Wick.
The doggy day care will offer full day, half day and walk-only services. Dog treats and accessories will also be sold from the centre. Puppy training and other behavioural classes will be run in the evenings.
The café will be open weekdays and open to pop up plant based restaurants on evenings and weekends. The day care area will also be available for community use.
The fit out of the centre will be predominantly from recycled and up-cycled materials, sourced locally, in keeping with the ethos of the centre which is to be eco-friendly and low waste.
We need your help to raise the funds to pay for the fit out and start up costs of the centre - "Barkney Wick".
What we'll deliver:
- Create a safe, fun and comfortable space for all sizes of dogs
- Create a warm and welcoming cafe space for dogs and humans to enjoy
- Host educational events and training for pups and their humans
- Volunteer opportunities to gain experience working with & socialising with dogs
- Opportunities for young people in the community to engage and socialise with dogs who may be scared to do so
- Opportunities for young people who would like a dog but cannot care for one to socialise with the dogs
- Training for homeless persons with dogs to help them care for their furry friends in difficult circumstances
- Affiliation with local schools to educate school children about dogs
- Educational evenings to discuss what we can do to help our environment and community
- Jobs for local people in the cafe, dog day care centre and a space for community use
Why it's a great idea:
Please visit www.barkneywick.com to read all about our community vision!
Here are just a few examples of the ways we plan to engage with our community:
We will provide opportunities for locals who would like to socialise with dogs, such as people who are thinking about becoming a pup parent or those who are not fortunate enough to be able to provide for a dog.
We will help people who want to work with dogs to gain experience by offering volunteering opportunities.
We will provide a safe environment for young people in the community to socialise with dogs who are scared of dogs so as to ease their anxieties.
We will offer training for homeless persons with dogs to help them care for their furry friends in difficult circumstances. We are in talks with a veterinary charity who we hope will also attend to check the health of the dogs and provide care advice and assist with their needs.
We aim to form affiliations with local schools to educate children about dogs.
Steps to get it done:
- Become zero waste within 5 years
- Only sell our drinks and food in recyclable or reusable containers
Plants are rich sources of many nutrients that are important for good health, including unsaturated fats, vitamins (such as folate), minerals (such as potassium), fibre and protein. Believe it or not, eating a plant-based diet has been linked to lower risk of obesity and many chronic diseases.
Evidence also points towards higher risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes with higher processed meat intake.
Eating plants is simply a far more efficient use of the planet’s stretched resources than feeding the plants to animals and then eating them. The global livestock herd and the grain it consumes takes up 83% of global farmland, but produces just 18% of food calories.
And these are just a few facts! We cannot wait to show the community how delicious plant-based food and drink really is and how beneficial it is for all.
Please go to www.barkneywick.com to learn more.
Please click on the "About Me" link to the right for further info!