We want to improve the facilities at Avonmore Library to provide a welcoming space for all local residents. We will:
- Redesign the floor plan to make better use of the space available (a professional architect has already done this free of charge)
- Replace all book shelving with a more flexible and attractive option (several units will be mobile so the entire space can be opened up for community events)
- Encourage more local children to make better use of the library by providing book bins, accessible shelving and child friendly seating
- Purchase 4 tablets so our Citizen Advice volunteers can provide quicker service and help more people when they need it most
- Provide an improved Information Hub where local people can more easily access essential information to help them know their rights, solve their problems and better run their lives
- Install hanging rails for local artists and children to display artwork, creating a brighter environment for all.
What we'll deliver:
- New book shelving throughout
- A brighter more welcoming children's library area with suitable seating and shelving
- A more flexible space to hold more regular community events
- 4 tablets so Citizens Advice volunteers can help even more people with the problems they face
- Hanging rails to display artwork from children and local artists
- An improved information hub for residents to know their rights
Why it's a great idea:
- At a time when most library user numbers are decreasing, our visitors numbers have grown steadily over the past 7 years since we took over management of the library. With a better brighter environment and more flexible use of the space, we believe these numbers will grow even further
- Create a more attractive space for local children to read, do homework and relax.
- Strengthen our relationship with local primary schools.
- Expand our offer of community events by investing in more flexible mobile shelving units and hanging rails.
- We want to increase social opportunities for isolated local residents though weekly themed coffee mornings, including a focus on health and wellbeing through sit down yoga and reading groups.
- We will be able to support more people back to work with digital skills, money skills training, volunteering and access to the National Careers Service.
- We want to make Avonmore Library a more flexible, brighter and welcoming facility for all!
Steps to get it done:
- Redesign office space (provided free of charge by professional architect)
- Identify suitable library shelving
- Identify suitable shelving and seating for children's area
- Get rid of supurfluous broken furniture / rubbish
- Clear existing books from shelves (when new ones delivered)
- Install new shelving and children's facilities
- Install art hanging wires
- Launch event
We have previous run large community events such as Roald Dahl Day, Local History Events, 'Human Library' event, Little Energy Champions (in connection with local primary schools), Christmas Carols, Bake Offs, Coffee Mornings and Quiz Nights. A more flexible space will enable to run these more regularly and effectively.
We also offer appointments and support for local residents applying for Universal Credit. We support them from first claim to first payment, mainly delivered by a skilled team of digital champion volunteers in the library.
In 2019 Citizens Advice Hammersmith & Fulham helped 12,000 local people with 28,000 different issues. Client satisfaction is 99%. With better facilities, we can extend these services even further and help even more people.