The Art Academy, have been given the support of Southwark Council to lease and re-energise Newington Library, currently vacant due to a fire in the neighbouring Town Hall in 2013. At Newington we proposal to use the double-height ground floor library as a community space and gallery in which we will run a public programme engaging the local community and get them passionate about the power of art. This will comprise of a programme of talks, workshops and exhibitions open to the public.
The Art Academy will also use the other areas of the building to house a part of the art school, by running their 1 year foundation and give studio space to the third year diploma students. The school aims to enable the artists of tomorrow and in partnership with Assemble will also run a new active learning programme and studio residency called Streetwork. Streetwork will create a diverse mix of practices amongst its residents, and so are encouraging artists, writers and musicians to join.
What we'll deliver:
- Regenerate the building and make it fit for running an art school
- Put in security to make the space safe
- Install wifi for the students and users of the building
- Create a new gallery space that can be used by the community
Why it's a great idea:
The Library has been vacant for 4 years and the housing of an Art School in the building will create a space that will engage the community whilst bringing high quality arts provision to the area.
The Art Academy has grown rapidly in it's current building on Borough High Street, the ability to expand into Elephant and Castle and use the Newington Library as a hub is a great opportunity to bring more life to Walworth Road and to offer course, workshops and talks in the area.
Steps to get it done:
- Create Lighting system in new gallery space
- Add new security system to the building
- Repainting the internal areas of the building
- Creating partitions and flooring for new studio spaces
- Create new sound proof wall and fire doors between gallery and studios
- Add new signage on the front of the building and throughout the inside
- Install Wifi through out the building
- Legal fees for the lease negotiations