We are raising funding for a feasibility study to begin the design of the redevelopment and refurbishment of the Harold Road Community Centre. We're hoping to save and completely refurbish this beautiful building with a theatre, rehearsal rooms and cafe, and a redeveloped studio space, entrance lobby, lifts to all areas and accessible toilets thoughout the building.
Applecart has already invested considerable funds into the initial planning stages of the project and, with the proposed feasibility study, we'll be in a position to find capital investment for redevelopment, creating a community hub which celebrates the rich cultural heritage of a vibrant and diverse community.
What we'll deliver:
- Carry out a public consultation to hear what the local community actually want
- Carry out a public campaign to promote the project
- Run craft events and workshops to engage local residents and guide the project.
- Carry out site appraisals and surveys.
- Carry out an architect's feasibility study
- Develop a credible business plan for ongoing investment.
- Submit a Pre-planning Application
Why it's a great idea:
We are striving to save and renovate Applecart Arts, a thriving arts centre that already serves the community, welcoming 1000's of people every month. we programme arts projects which directly relate to local concerns and regularly work with local residents and organisations to create social cohesion and create platforms for emerging talent.
Our building is our strongest asset and our greatest challenge. In desperate need of repair, the building maintenance costs are prohibitive and we urgently need to renovate, refurbish and redevelop areas of the building if we are to continue to keep the building safe and open to the public.
At present we have no lift access above ground floor levels and access to our toilets and ground floor spaces is less than ideal.
The local area is in desperate need of buildings like Applecart and this large-scale redevelopment project will save this wonderful building from demolition, enabling it to become self sustaining for a generation to come.
Steps to get it done:
- Carry Out a Public Meeting to hear what the community actually want.
- Carry out a promotional publicity campaign
- Run craft events and workshops
- Complete Structural Engineer's Report
- Complete Mechanical & Electrical Engineer's Report
- Complete Quantity Surveyor's Report
- Complete Engineering Survey
- Complete Architect's Feasibility Study
- Develop a business plan
- Complete a Pre-Planning Application