Covid-19 has shuttered indoor venues city-wide, depriving Londoners entertainment, and entertainers employment. We want to unleash the potential of London's canals as an alternative, safe, outdoor performance space, and show other boaters how they can do the same. We do that by hosting 7 weekend mini-festivals from Paddington to Hays on the Grand Union Canal w/ music, theatre, workshops and talks on our flagship vessel, "Molly Anna," and its full length stage.
We will continue to monitor government safety guidance and will communicate any cancellation or rescheduling of the project due to lockdown restrictions clearly through this page. Temporary Events Licenses can not yet be obtained until closer to the date of the event. Spacehive will ensure that no funds are transferred to the project until it is confirmed that the event can go ahead.
What we'll deliver:
- 7 weekends of music, theatre, workshops, and litter-picks at canal-side locations from Paddington to Bulls Bridge
- 7 seminars for boaters wherein they learn how to legally comply with use of their boat in support of canalside events
- 7 presentations from the Canal and River Trust to help local communities “adopt” their canal for future events
- 7 seed events that evolve into annual community celebrations
- 1 summer-long demonstration of canal utility that is copied by others city-wide
Why it's a great idea:
1. We will increase visitation to and appreciation for London's canals.
2. We will provide employment for sidelined actors and singers
3. We will provide business skills and additional income for canal boat owners long-term
4. We will foster a new sense of community between boat-dwellers and those residing by the waterways
5. We will provide entertainment for an entertainment-starved public
6. We will demonstrate new use for the canal for the benefit of local communities
7. We will foster improved communication between Borough Events and Licensing teams, and the canal boat public
8. We will enlighten the canal boat community about how to interact with Borough officials.
9. We will provide the Canal and River Trust with new and ongoing outreach opportunities to maintain local waterways and surrounding spaces
10. We will increase Your Canal Boat's capacity for activating other canal-side locations throughout London in partnership with fellow boaters
Steps to get it done:
- Secure Temporary Events Notices for 7 weekend mini-festivals
- Secure commitments to perform from local artists
- Hire two staff hired full-time to organise, promote and manage all events
- Engage with local communities and schools including logo competition
- Spread the word through community groups, social media and advertising
- Select our key sites by popular demand
- Invite local businesses to showcase their products
- Loan, borrow and purchase equipment such as seating and gazebos
Your Canal Boat CIC, with support from Bards on Boats ltd, has two years’ experience transforming canal-side spaces into pop-up performance venues. Working with Canal & River Trust & municipal officials, each event includes seminars to prompt residents, local businesses, artists and boaters to take ownership of their local canal and manage future festivals there.
Help plan the final route by watching our video and identifying your preferred 7 of 13 candidate sites and suggestions for artists and content in comments below.