Your pledges will support the refurbishment of our youth and community bus, to make it a space to be used for mobile sessions.
We plan to use the bus to have sessions within the community away from our centre - reaching out directly to where young people are at.
Funding will be put towards ensuring the bus is fit for purpose- including outer decoration and inside renovation. Our dream bus plans include an awning and a retractable screen to be able to offer community events such as cinema sessions, awareness campaigns and much more.
We will also be using this bus as an opportunity to improve our local community, by organising litter picks in the spaces we park the bus, and to encourage young people to respect the local green spaces. One outcome of this work is to improve our local green spaces and make them a space for all of the community to use.
We aim to work with a variety of people, and especially those who may not access centre-based services due to a variety of reasons.
What we'll deliver:
- Train and support volunteers to improve local green spaces
- Offer outreach sessions for community members to access
- Consult with community to do a community map of resources
- Offer positive activities for young people and the community
- Provide information, advice and guidance from our bus
Why it's a great idea:
Many in our community struggle to access services due to issues with transport and other factors. By bringing our services to them, we can enable all community members to have the opportunity to access support from our team, and to work with us to enhance our offering of this support.
The Base will enable young people to have a positive, voluntary relationship with youth and community workers who have a professional interest in the well-being of young people. This will also enable Youth Workers to gain a greater understanding of young people's situations in order to increase accuracy of intervention.
This mobile youth bus will enable the wider community to understand the issues and needs of young people to the benefit of both, and also to enable young people to gain a variety of skills and knowledge and develop their social awareness in an environment which is socially inclusive and fosters equality.
Steps to get it done:
- Outer wrapping on bus fitted
- Inside seating re-upholstered
- New interior table installed and other interior alterations
- Recruitment of project co-ordinator started
- Co-ordinator to liase with local businesses about parking spaces and create a timetable
- Project will offer volunteering opportunities to local community to get involved,
- Timetable of services will be published to the wider community to avail of