We want to create local temporary food bank to support residents of Fosse ward during this difficult time. Many of our local people suffer deprivation and poverty with the ward scoring high on deprivation indices. Covid has only made this worse and we want to work in solidarity to help those who are struggling by providing free supplies of basic food, provide for special diets and nutritionally-balanced food, toiletries and sanitary products, baby supplies and other urgent items which local families may struggle to afford or access.
We aim to provide support for those who are referred by other agencies including local schools and community projects as well as anyone who expresses a need for support informally. We aim to provide weekly food / grocery parcels to around 50-60 families per week although this will fluctuate according to need and other provision. We aim to continue for 3 months and reassess in September.
What we'll deliver:
- Create a food bank specifically for Fosse residents
- Pack and deliver food parcels and essentials to those referred to us
- Enable willing volunteers to have a key role in community support
- Take donations from supermarkets and food suppliers as well as public
- Work in partnership with other agencies, food banks and organisations
Why it's a great idea:
We hope to create community solidarity with our project. We have 40 volunteers keen to help their neighbours. Woodgate Community Food will enable local people to help out by co-ordinating donations, supermarket excess and specially-purchased items and getting these to the people who really need it. We do not have a local food bank in this part of the city despite it being a deprived area.
Steps to get it done:
- Move existing donations into the building
- Take supermarket deliveries
- Sorting and packing volunteer schedule arranged
- Deliveries of first food parcels (delivery only at first)
- Weekly delivery of food parcels
- Schedule regular open days for the foodbank
- Manage donations and supplies
We will reduce food waste by getting excess stock to those most in need.
We will provide volunteering opportunities to local residents.
We will improve community cohesion through solidarity and mutual aid