We've modified this project in the last few days to help not only all of us having to stay at home but also those theatre artists who have suddenly lost ALL their income in these incredible times. The West London People's Theatre Company gives everyone in H&F a chance to be involved in a big, new theatre show, starting asap, with on-line tutoring by top professionals, who we will pay. Maverick was established to increase access to the performing arts. It's won numerous arts awards and critical acclaim. The new company works on the basis that ANYBODY or ANY GROUP who wants to have a go at theatre - acting, dancing, backstage, music, social, finance, film or producing - can join in and be tutored FOR FREE whilst doing so by some of the top practitioners from the National Theatre, RCM, the RSC, etc, to work with the company and increase their level of skill and talent. It is a unique project. As we physically distance ourselves, this project will support artists AND bring us all closer!
What we'll deliver:
- To create a new, top-quality, large-scale professional play with music, written, produced & performed by the community.
- To attract and pay talent to create an online choir, dance group, writers group and other creative hubs in H&F.
- To sow the seeds for further productions including new, community-based plays and comedies.
Why it's a great idea:
As we physically distance ourselves, this project will support artists AND reduce isolation! The Peoples Company will work on the basis that ANYBODY who wants to have a go at theatre - acting, backstage or production - can join in and be tutored for free, to increase their level of skill, talent and fitness. It's a unique Pro-Am cooperation. Most importantly, this is an open project - no auditions - anyone or any group can get involved at any level, young and old. And not just actors, but backstage, producers, musicians, sound designers, lights, costume, set build and design, painting, web design, social media, marketing - even chaperones for a kids company! Everyone involved gets world-class training from top practitioners who agree to take a training or mentoring role. And it’s all free! All that’s needed is a desire to make a play and get involved. We want funding to make this happen. To bring us all closer again immediately and prepare for a physical production as soon as we can.
Steps to get it done:
- Advertise our production and calls to action to all community websites and networks in Hammersmith and Fulham.
- Advertise to attract currently unemployed artists to create an online choir, dance & writers groups.
- Set up new website and writing portal for script creation
- Appoint Heads of Departments and mentors
- First rehearsals (Virtual or physical!)
- Opening night! (Virtual or physical!)
- Advertise on-line to attract those interested in being involved at any level
These are unique times. What makes this different and unique from any other ‘normal’ theatre production in London is its starting point. Content will be decided by the community. Its open access and exceptional level of free tuition for all those involved will reach out to those who view theatre as somewhat elitist and irrelevant. We will hold online meetings and invite involvement at all levels. Our first fundraising campaign had great support and we raised 101% of our goal (although the lateness of a final bid meant we were unable to complete.) This time we hope we will succeed! We hope to create a real sense of community cohesion and achievement. Creating the show will take place in the evenings and weekends to make it easy for participants. There will also be podcasts & videos. The performances will feature low ticket prices and relatively short runs. We hope to create a real sense of community cohesion and achievement not only from the participants but a wider London audience.