We will provide opportunities and support to 16-24 year olds who are at risk of, or have fallen out of education or employment. This will be achieved through the foundation’s ‘Step Up To Work’ programme; to engage and train individuals in a hands on working environment within the thinkFOUND furniture making company.
They will gain experience of working in all areas of a furniture making business that is both sustainable and environmentally friendly. The foundation will facilitate participants to develop a set of competencies; working with both their strengths and challenges to assist them in developing transferable skills as a way into work. They will be supported with peer support groups and individual reflection sessions by trained staff. As a result, they will be supplied with a credible and individualised reference to pass on to future employees and a set of practical tools that will set them up for work.
-find out more via thinkFOUND.co.uk/thinkfoundation
What we'll deliver:
- A non- discriminatory, safe and supportive learning space.
- Opportunities to develop skills in wood work (sanding, oiling, table assembling, packaging)
- Development of key work skills (e.g. time management, team work, organisation, customer service and marketing).
- Support to complete a set of competencies demonstrating transferable work skills.
- Trained mentors to help problem solve any challenges our service user may have
- Weekly peer support team discussions lead by a trained facilitator monitoring any issues & providing a space to share.
- Tailored packages to meet individual needs with varying lengths of placements.
- A final certificate and in-depth reference to pass on to future employees.
- Opportunities for paid employment if they excel / exceed their competencies.
Why it's a great idea:
It is our ambition to create a flagship employment programme that gives people a diverse range of transferable skills and a sense of confidence they may be lacking. We want to provide opportunities to people who may have struggled elsewhere and to support them to overcome challenges and find them areas they can excel in. We feel that this is a service that our community is lacking and hope by assisting people into employment, this will reduce risks of mental health deterioration, criminal activity, poverty and strain on well-fare. We also want to promote the importance of sustainable and environmental business. We hope the thinkFoundation can be a transferable framework to inspire other businesses in the local community to take on those who would have previously been overlooked and undervalued in the job market.
Please spread the word. Don't worry if you are unable to financially support us being our champion is just as important.
So come on what are you waiting for - Step Up!
Steps to get it done:
- Spread the word and involve the community.
- Purchase and build mezzanine.
- Purchases tools, create workstations and prepare the workshop.
- Finalise guidlines, duty of care and other policies and procedures.
- Train staff and volunteers.
- Create opening thinkFOUNDATION event.
- Begin the 'Step Up To Work' program!
What the funding will be for:
- A mezzanine above the current workshop which will provide a safe and suitable space where service users can be briefed and trained as well as being the place for groups and feedback sessions. This will also free up space on the ground floor of the workshop allowing us to create more workstations and in turn allowing us to take on more people.
- To invest in more hand and power tools as well as personal protection equipment for our users in order to ensure they have the best available tools to be inline with industrial standards.
- Signage and storage to provide our users with a safe environment meeting health and safety regulations.
-Specialised staff experienced with working with young adults who may have come from challenging backgrounds. Additional 1-2 members of staff depending on how many participants are present.
- Training and courses for relevant staff members
We are passionate and determined to make this work, please spread the word!