In the past 10 years we’ve become an integral part of our local community, offering mainstream, independent and world cinema alongside a diverse programme of special screenings including black history studies, a women-only refugee film club, a neighbourhood film school and events for LGBT seniors, carers and the hard of hearing. We host weddings, mitzvahs and many, many parties!
We're powered by the energy and enthusiasm of 50 local volunteers from all walks of life. Our cinema is affordable, accessible and friendly.
With one screen and just 75 seats, there’s a limit to how much we can do, and we're now at capacity.
The new Hub building will be an attractive, sustainable build, providing 2000 hours of additional community space per year. Following a series of public consultations we have the support of our immediate neighbours, all 8 local councillors, both of our MPs and the wider community.
We have planning permission and now need to raise £150,000 to get this off the ground!
What we'll deliver:
- The Lexi Hub: built from reclaimed materials with a green roof and solar panels.
- An additional 2000 hours per year of space for our community to use.
- Gorgeous new cinema screen bringing twice as many films per year to NW10
- 25 additional volunteering opportunities
- 3860 additional places per year for local schools and nurseries
- 1649 additional places on our community projects
Why it's a great idea:
We believe film can change lives, and cinema has a place at the heart of our community.
Our neighbourhood has seen a massive increase in population, over the past decade. Overcrowding means increased in loneliness, and isolation. We know our local families are struggling with the cost of living.
This makes the Lexi Hub project vital.
A trip to the cinema, volunteering on box office, catching up with friends in the bar or enjoying one of our many community screenings...we are helping to meet the needs of our changing community. Whether you were born and bred in Kensal Rise, or you’ve just arrived and want to make friends, whether you’re a refugee mum, one of our wonderful local seniors, or a young filmmaker looking for a place to screen your first short film… whether you’re a local teacher with a class of film fans, or a family with a child in our local additional needs school, the Lexi Hub will have space for you and a friendly welcome.
Steps to get it done:
- Nov 2020: open Lexi Hub. Local employment and community engagement across the build and fit-out.
- Nov 2020: participate in Open House London. We will be applying for architectural awards for this build project.
- Dec 2020: community programme launch with: Brent Carers, Salusbury World, Black History Studies, and Elders Voice.
- Nov 2020 - Oct 2021: Additional 10,000 visitors in the first full year of operation. 12,000 in 2022, 14,000 in 2023.
- Nov 2020 - Oct 2021: Networking space for creative industry professionals in Brent
- Nov 2020 - Oct 2021: Hub for filmmakers and access to Film London advice
***Did you know... as part of an NHS Social Prescribing pilot scheme, one local GP surgery is even prescribing trips to the Lexi. It's official - the Lexi is good for you! This is just one of the initiatives we'll be able to expand, with the new Lexi Hub.***