We have adapted our original project and will launch our transformation of the old Library with a pop-up cinema. This will house a single screen viewing area and a bar/café that will have independent traders present. The project will have distanced seats and will be ‘Covid-19’ prepared from the beginning. This will allow us to expand and add more seats, as the situation changes and evolves. It will also demonstrate the viability of the project, strengthening the proposed full development of the cinema. It will allow us to establish revenue streams with a minimal outlay and costs. We will be operating the pop-up cinema with the assistance and support of Oliver Meek, Chief Executive of the Rio Cinema in Dalston- using the benefit of their existing programming and box office.
We are excited to be fundraising for the equipment for the pop-up – and believe that this approach is the more creative and robust way of moving forward in the current circumstances
What we'll deliver:
- We will re-open the old library building to the public
- We will construct a fully equipped single screen cinema
- We will present a 'COVID prepared ' venue
- There will be bar and cafe run by recognised local traders
- There will be a new destination on the high street
Why it's a great idea:
Our project will allow us to get our community back into the once - public building in the heart of the Acton High Street. Despite the restrictions of Covid 19 we want to offer socially distanced screenings for four days each week. This will:
* welcome our supporters and the local residents into the building with the offer of programmed screenings and a bar/cafe.
* allow us to engage with our community, find out more about them and what they would like to see taking place in the building
* offer opportunities for volunteering, training and employment
* increase footfall on the high street and boost local business
* evening screenings will help revive the night-time economy
* Provide a temporary solution until we can fulfil our permanent plan for the 2 screen cinema.
* Allow us to begin fundraising to restore the exterior of the Grade II listed building
* provide a destination that all the community can be proud of
* attract investment into the full cinema proposal
Steps to get it done:
- Finalise the lease with LB Ealing - before end of January 2021
- Getting the keys to the building - end of January early February 2021
- Mobilise cleaning team volunteers - February - March 2021
- Clear out the ground floor of the building - February - March 2021
- Take down false ceiling and clean - March - April 2021
- Begin decorating and construction of seating platform - April 2021
- Prepare entrance (white box) create bar and cafe space -- May - June 2021
- Complete single screen fit out. - late June 2021
- Launch cinema to coincide with renewed cinema activity and content
Many of you contributed to our first Spacehive crowdfunding campaign which allowed us to submit a fully detailed and successful planning application for a fully equipped two screen cinema. Your contributions - also assisted us with the legal fees incurred in getting the lease with Ealing Council. This second phase of fundraising will be for the equipment to get this idea up and running. We are very pleased to be working with Alex Yeşilirmak who has many years experience of constructing cinemas in a variety of surprising locations. Alex will be responsible for the design and construction, light and sound and seating for our venture.