The Time Exchange is a community-based time bank and drop-in centre located in Arthur’s Hill. The Time Exchange office is open 5 days a week and supports local residents to exchange time and skills with each other. For every hour of time that is volunteered members earn a time credit, which can be used to access over 250 skills and services offered by other members.
In addition to the daily exchanges of services and resources the Time Exchange runs gardening and environmental activities as a way of promoting wellbeing and community spirit. Projects include maintaining street planters and litter picking in the local area, facilitating nature-themed local walks, running therapeutic gardening sessions in the Bike Garden with volunteers and offering individual support for members keen to grow vegetables or improve their garden spaces.
What we'll deliver:
- We will deliver 36 gardening sessions
- We will organise 4 nature walks
- We will deliver 36 street planter maintenance sessions
- We will facilitate 4 community litter picking events
Why it's a great idea:
The Time Exchange will build on the skills of local residents, enabling them to be active in improving both their own physical health and wellbeing, and the wellbeing of others.
The project will help increase the confidence of members through skills sharing, and connecting people to their local community, helping to create a stronger sense of community, reducing loneliness/ isolation.
Local residents will be encouraged to take ownership of the upkeep and maintenance of the local area. All local residents will benefit by the improved appearance of the local environment.
Steps to get it done:
- Plan a programme of weekly gardening and environmental activities
- Work with local residents on a range of nature walk themes
- Publicise activities using monthly newsletters, emails contacts and social media
- Deliver accessible and inclusive gardening and environmental sessions