As we emerge from the covid-19 pandemic there is need for new and creative thinking to addressing the effects that the pandemic has had on young people. We are converting a double decker bus into a cafe, confidential listening service and workshop space. This will allow us to have the flexibility to run detached work in local communities for young people.
The lower deck will have a cafe, with games consoles, and tablets for socialising, relationship building and learning enabling us to deliver diversionary activities to help reduce instances of anti-social behaviour. The upper deck will have a confidential listening space, and workshop space where we will deliver programmes equipping young people with life skills, for example budgeting, job searching, and tools to overcome anxiety.
The bus will have an external extendable awning which will allow us to host outside activities and extend our provision.
What we'll deliver:
- We will be working across Washington and Sunderland area
- We will run a confidential listening service
- We will provide a safe space for young people
- The bus will be used as a pop-up community cafe
- We will also deliver workshops around mental health, job search and financial management
Why it's a great idea:
Over the last 9 years funding for out of school children and youth services has been reduced by 98%, this projects aims to begin to re-establish detached services in the region directly aimed at young people.
We are going to be building relationships with young people taking this service to their locality where they hangout. Giving them access to high quality professionally trained workers and our open access youth project.
We are going to help young people to establish good personal life values which impacts upon their decision making, behaviour and well-being.
We will also use our bus as a pop-up community cafe during the day where members of the public can access our resources, workshops and enjoy a simple cup of coffee with friends.
Steps to get it done:
- Funding secured 1st May 2021
- Refit bus between May & August 2021
- Community launch event end of August 2021
- Launch project by September 1st 2021