The vision is to create a fully equipped community-powered space fitted with cutting edge equipment that is accessible to young people aged 6 to 25 years of age in Rotherhithe. In this environment, young people will always be central to the coordinating and planning any activities, workshops or events.
The responses and thoughts of participating children, primarily from the heart of Rotherhithe, will continue to shape the project’s strategy, as has always been the case in previous project work undertaken by our organisation. Projects will be offered to develop young people's language skills and creativity through the use and eventual mastery of technology. Users will learn through experimentation, interaction and observing processes modelled by experts. They will develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills while using new technologies, extending their existing talents and developing personally, socially and intellectually.
What we'll deliver:
- Work placement and training opportunities
- Continued open access to makerspace facilities
- Collaborative and outreach project with both public and private sectors partners
- Consistent Tech skills learning and development
- Continued open access to maker-space facilities
- inter-professional and organisational collaboration on outreach project
- Project opportunities involving both public and private partners
- An initial 12 months of both paid & free sessions, including Saturdays and holidays
- Traditional Tech events and training in the use and mastery of contemporary tools and techniques for making
Why it's a great idea:
Using Technology is part and parcel of being a citizen, enabling economic, civic and social participation. Access to and training in the use of technology increasingly determines people's futures. Over the past four years, our organisation has provided access to technology and the creative arts to over 9000 participants through pilot schemes and outreach ventures. However, our current project only runs part-time, with its capacity limited by funding.
The proposed community space venue is conveniently located in the Dockland Settlements in Rotherhithe and has the potential to provide an ideal environment for stimulating the creative, linguistic, social, intellectual and economic advancement of young people, many of whom are struggling to make their way in the world. The proposed project would allow this space to open for a minimum of 5 full days, providing a safe, local venue for children and young people where their all-round development can be supported.
Steps to get it done:
- Purchase the equipment for space
- Purchase a van for a smooth-running logistics to benefit more participants and collaborate with the local community
- Activate tech skills, advisory board
- Set up a young people's tech advisory board
- Activate the team so space is fully running at least five days a week
- Outfitting and installing technical infrastructures the space adequately with one side a gallery for displays
- Develop a new website in accordance with New Opportunities for the Community
- Run more show-and-tells inductions for the local community to facilitate open access
- Start running community outreach and educational programmes for the local area
This project will enable skills development, community outreach work and inter-professional collaboration, with a view to generating positivity and optimism for the future in a borough ranked 4th most deprived in London. The proposed site is the Dockland Settlements Community Centre, situated in the heart of Rotherhithe. Additional community outreach projects are also envisaged, to be arranged in collaboration with local charities, libraries, schools and festivals in order to facilitate the widest possible participation.
Our organisation has extensive experience of teaching languages through art and technology and teaching new skills in a different, often exciting, contexts. We believe young people will be able to share their existing knowledge and skills, whether traditional or contemporary, as well as learn from experts while mastering cutting edge technology.