We have a lovely spacious playing field that cannot be used during the winter, it would be fantastic to install an all weather running track with a pathway leading up to the track in order to utilise the field for exercise all year round; This would also help us to facilitate the Daily Mile Challenge for all our pupils.
This will really help the Health and Wellbeing of our pupils by increasing their physical activity within a Covid secure setting. The track can also be used by our afterschool clubs, this would also benefit other children within our locality as well as adults.
We have not yet received a formal response to our Category 3 Planning Application permission from West Sussex County Council. We are extremely confident that this will come through in writing during this campaign, but if it is withdrawn, no funds will be transferred to the project delivery manager.
What we'll deliver:
- We will pledge £18,000.00 towards the project
- Ensure full installation and Maintenance of the track
- Ensure the track is used by our community and afterschool sport clubs
- The track is included and utilised in our curriculum planning
- To be able to facilitate the Run a Mile Challenge
Why it's a great idea:
There are so many benefits for installing Run A Mile track but the greatest motivation for us as a school is to help with the Health and Wellbeing of our children. The Coronavirus and Lockdown has caused so many problems for our children and one of these is the ability to get out and exercise safety. In order to make a school Covid secure we have to section of our playgrounds into individual bubbles which does not allow much room for exercise and play, by installing the Run a Mile track it means we are able to utilise our playing field all year round regardless of the weather conditions. Research shows that exercise improves our mental health and wellbeing and helps prepare the children for leaning. The Daily Mile is a popular, simple and free initiative that sees children run or jog for 15 minutes every day in school.
We also have various community sports and outdoor afterschool clubs that use our facilities, they will also benefit from using the track as part of their training.
Steps to get it done:
- Appoint the chosen contractor to install the all weather track
- Once the track is complete timetable and train all children in the daily mile challenge programme.
- Update our school website and our social media pages to advertise and promote the track
- Engage with the community to ensure the track is being utilised in our afterschool clubs.
The idea is to install a 314m x 1.2m track area as shown in the picture gallery, it will have a drain proof surface with a solid base, with a level finish then covered in multi-play artificial grass. The track comes with a 10-year manufacture warranty and a UV stability guarantee to ensure long term use for our pupils and community.