The COVID-19 lockdown has been testing for everyone, and although lockdown has come to an end, the support for young people doesn’t have to. Sirlute has been running free online Creative Writing workshops, and mentoring programmes, as well as supporting a team of trainee’s and apprentices, during the lockdown period.
We’ll be running some online writing programmes, as well as music production workshops, and 1-2-1 mentoring, aimed at 7-16 year olds; providing 5 workshops per week. We’ll also be able to cover the cost of travel and food for our trainees and apprentices, giving them the tools they need for the workplace, as well as a safe space to learn and develop their skills.
Gillender Street studio is our temporary home, where we’re able to share skills and equipment with our trainees, apprentices, and YoungStars, some of whom are with us 5 days per week. From the 28th September, we will be looking for a new space to continue to create more opportunities for young people.
What we'll deliver:
- 800 hours in 6 months of community outreach services
- 200 online and studio based workshops
- 200 free studio sessions for under 19s
- 5 employees (founder, apprentices and trainee)
- 20 freelancers (musicians, content makers, industry experts, tutors)
- Online tutorial videos (pre-recorded) and classes (live)
- Build a professional music studio
- Build a professional photography & media studio
- End of lockdown and studio opening ceremony
Why it's a great idea:
This project will help at risk, hard to reach young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to stay away from endangering environments. With a music education programme that will bring individuals together, in a safe space for them to make their own original pieces of music and take part in positive activities. Young people will work together and build strong relationships in and across communities, helping them to reach their potential, by supporting them at the earliest possible stage.
Steps to get it done:
- Purchasing equipment and launching online programme
- Share first piece of work from a YoungStar
- Share 10 pieces of work from a YoungStar
- Build or relocate Pepper st. Studio
- Share first piece of work from Pepper st. Studio after crisis
- Launch first workshop after crisis
- Host first showcase ceremony after crisis
- Hire four employees after crisis
- Purchase equipment to facilitate music production & songwriting workshops for group sizes up to 20
- Purchase equipment to facilitate media and live workshops for group sizes up to 8