This is a truly important project to us. Sharow Primary School and St John’s church are located on a very narrow rural lane that is regularly blocked by parked vehicles as parents drop-off or pick-up children to and from school. Additionally, the well attended drama, music and dance performances, as well as choral rehearsals held regularly at St John's church exacerbate the problem, making it difficult for the community & visitors to attend.
Our local community and St John's have been working hard to change this. The space has been purchased for the car park development. Heritage Lottery Funding, St John's church, the local Borough and Parish Councils, the school's PTA, local businesses and the local community, so far, have raised more than 60% of the necessary funds for the car park and volunteers have undertaken some of the work. But we are still £30,000 off our target. If we don't meet the 50% match funding requirements of HLF, this project risks being called off!
What we'll deliver:
- provide safe, dedicated parking for school drop-off and pick-up
- improve access to St John's church from the surrounding villages
- create a safer footpath through the field for pedestrians to access the school and church from Dishforth Road
- build a community car park making Sharow a safer place
Why it's a great idea:
As part of a broader project, the car park will complement the much-increased performance and community use of St John's church, as well as provide safer access to our local primary school. A safer footpath will be created, linking the very busy Dishford Road with Berrygate Lane, so that pedestrians don't have to walk through the parked cars or on the busy lane.
A "flexible" car parking scheme will be implemented, aiming to develop a car park that is as discreet and as responsive to its rural village setting as possible.
This project is of huge importance to us; in the last 2 years, Sharow community raised more than £165K to modernise St John's church. The recently awarded £520K from HLF will allow St John's to complete the modernisation and accessibility project and use £39K towards the creation of the new car park. We are backing 100% this significant community project and we hope that others will help us raise the remaining £30K. With your help, we hope the work can start soon.
Steps to get it done:
- Purchase 20% of the remaining Bodpave paver to stabilise the ground & retain gravel for car park use
- Purchase soft furnishing for the car park
- Create safe paths to give access to pedestrians through the green field
- Install new fence and gates around the field to make it safe
- Construct the main entrance for the cars
- Purchase trees and bushes to make the car park as discreet and in keeping with its existing environment
- Car park construction
A new car park on Berrygate Lane, Sharow, will improve access to important community facilities within our village, as well as make it a safer place for both pedestrians and car users.
Sharow Primary School has approximately 85 pupils and St John's church receives an estimated 100 visitors per week. The weekly choral rehearsals attract approximately 150 people and the concerts, drama, heritage & community events attract more than 100 guests per event. School performances & services are taking place at St John's, as well as Adult Lectures, Rural Arts touring performances, and church services. This is the only place in Sharow for everyone to experience culture, explore heritage and engage with the community. This car park will provide inclusive access and allow the local community to experience much more.