We want to deliver a whole class interactive music programme co-delivered with Drake Music who specialise in music, disability and technology.
After an initial audit of the schools needs, a 10 week programme will be designed that is led initially by 2 Drake facilitators and supported by a music service teacher and the class teacher. By the end of the initial 10 weeks, the leadership of the session has been passed to co delivery between school staff and music service staff who will then continue to deliver the rest of the year long programme of lessons.
We aim to provide specialist training and development support to the music service and school staff involved. This will be delivered by Drake Music and will focus on Disability Equality in Music Education as well as how to use music technology to remove disabling barriers to music.
What we'll deliver:
- Teach instrumental music in the two special schools in Kingston
- Support school staff and music service staff with their development of working in SEND settings
- Build a legacy of inclusive music making in Kingston which could lead to further opportunities for our young people
Why it's a great idea:
It will enable more young people to access music in new ways. There are many studies that show the positive impact that music has on the brain but most importantly it enables people to have fun and enjoy themselves - we want all of our young people to be able to enjoy it regardless of any barriers they may face.
The sense of community is incredibly strong in Kingston and we have lots of opportunities available for residents including children and young people. We want to ensure that those opportunities for music and the community to come together can happen regardless of ability/disability.
Steps to get it done:
- Advertise for teachers to work within SEND settings
- Plan initial Training Day for school staff, music teaching staff and other interested parties
- Purchase equipment required to support the project in each special school
- Schedule school sessions for Autumn Term 2020
- Implement coaching and mentoring scheme, linking teachers with their mentors
- Arrange evaluation and feedback meeting with schools, Drake Music and KMS staff