Communities such as those in Cornwall & East Sussex have successfully formed societies where locals get together to bathe in the sea, offering an opportunity for people to bond, improve their confidence in the water and re-gain their love of the sea. Our main reason for being will be sea bathing but we will also organise other exploratory activities which will include the regular monthly meet-ups for swims throughout the summer, throughout the year gather for talks on the environment from local aficionados, organise trips to neighbouring coastlines for swims (in the summer) and also come together to create events which will raise money for local charities. There are so many possibilities, all which stem from a simple idea of sea-bathing. The Society will be used as a method of bringing together parts of this seafaring community together, as well as delivering environmental awareness to members and increasing their confidence and combating loneliness.
What we'll deliver:
- From April-October monthly gatherings to swim together
- All year-round monthly gatherings to aid loneliness in the community - the common thread is a love of the sea
- Charitable work - creating fun events where society members can fundraise for local charities
- Fun days away to discover other West Sussex coastal areas - again to aid loneliness as well as increase local knowledge
- Promote wellbeing by shouting about the benefits of sea bathing
- Beach cleans supported by members & increasing local knowledge of caring for their environment
Why it's a great idea:
I've often wondered why Selsey, with its clear waters and great beaches, doesn’t have more locals swimming in the sea. They rarely seem to go in the water, yet I know the people of Selsey are passionate about their coastline and seafaring history. I believe it’s partly down to the fact that as people get older, they either lose their confidence or just don’t have anyone to go for a swim with. And so many people suffer from loneliness. I believe in setting this Society up, making it fun, creative and inspiring, it will attract a community of like-minded people and get them out of their homes and onto the beach (in the summer) and over the winter months we’ll have talks on the environment, do beach cleans and raise money from fun events. I believe the Selsey Sea Bathing Society will be a great success.
Steps to get it done:
- Finish the website which will list our vision, purpose and first meet up