Ray’s Playhouse is part of a legacy that has been a lifeline to generations of parents, carers and young children. A warm, friendly play environment on a cold, wet morning, a different set of four walls, outside space, a healthy mid morning snack, the comforting chat with another Mum or Dad juggling 3 kids under 5, to re assuring advice when you are worried about your little one. Lifelong friendships, both adults and children, have been sparked over the play dough table at the Playhouse.
Originally opened in 1970, in the old wash house toilets of the Sunlight Laundry, renamed Sands End Playhouse in the 1980’s, the 0-5 years play group community provision in Pineapple Park has been delivered by Ray's Playhouse since 2011.
Your support will enable us to carry out major works & help keep Ray's Playhouse open to give families with young children the start in life they deserve.
What we'll deliver:
- Replace the kitchen
- Replace all the glass doors to garden & playground
- Re-lay outdoor play area flooring & re plant garden, sand pit
- Repaint the entire building
- Part re wire the building and replace electrical fixtures & fitting
- Part re plumb the building and replace all taps
- Replace sanitary ware in toilets
- Strip our untility room and replace all cupboards & sink washing machine
- Remove storage cupboards and worktop for arts/craft in main area and replace with new
- Take out the shower that doesn’t work and build shelving in its place
Why it's a great idea:
Ray's Playhouse was born in 2011. Council funding came to an end & the Sands End Playhouse, originally the 1 o'clock Club opened by the community in the 1970’s, sadly had to close its doors. The once brand new (1980's) purpose built home is now very tired & not only costly to maintain & unattractive to the vital party rentals but at the point where the building may not be fit or safe to host our young families. The electrics are old & will cost more to repair than replace as will the plumbing. The taps in the toilets are so leaky the water bill is huge. The large glass doors are unusable & the outdoor playground flooring needs replacing. We also feel that the building has the possibility to host more community activities especially working with charities who help the older people in our community. If the building was in good working order we would love to host a variety of activities welcoming in the wider community including exercise classes & social, intergenerational gatherings.
Steps to get it done:
- Clear the building & be temporarily hosted by SEAPIA
- St George will start prepping for work in-kind
- St George will start refurbishment of the Kitchen
- The playground floor is resurfaced
- The garden & sandpit is re landscaped & replanted by volunteers
- The wiring and plumbing are completed
- New windows/doors are installed
- The building is repainted
- Rays Playhouse is re-opened
- Completion Party!
Ray’s Playhouse aims to help give families with young children the start in life they deserve.
Registered charity Ray’s Playhouse is a children’s centre providing all year round services and support for all families with children under 5 (and their siblings in school holidays) accompanied by their parents and carers. All sessions offered support the ECM agenda and the EYFS themes and principles.
Based in the heart of Sands End, Fulham, we run daily morning, inclusive stay and play sessions and on certain afternoons Ray’s provides a HEalth Visitor session and targeted sessions for our families with extra needs or the more vulnerable families that we support.