Mowmacre Hill Primary School is in the centre of their community and community apiary will help bring people together through beekeeping. Participants will learn new skills including: how to look after bees, about bees as an important element in the local nature, pollinator plants, how to prepare healthy food and much more.
The project will work with people from different socio-economic backgrounds and support people with additional needs, the aim to improve participant wellbeing.
The community apiary will be based at the school and will be utilised by teachers and pupils to support the curriculum. Children will be learning about bees in practical sessions with the apiary a vital asset in children’s learning as part of their curricular and cross-curricular activities in and out of school.
Your support will help fund:
• 2 hives
• 2 colonies (bees)
• Tools we need to look after the bees
• 6 adult beekeeping suits
• 10 sets of children beekeeping suits
• Training with LRBKA 6 adults
What we'll deliver:
- Galvanise the community to the idea
- Purchase hives, bees and tool kits
- Deliver training to 6 local members to undertake beekeeping duties
- Roll out community workshops at the Apiary
- Harvest the honey!
Why it's a great idea:
The project will:
• improve the well-being of children, families and community members
• develop positive relationships bringing community together creating a strong local network
• develop new skills and knowledge to suatin the environment
• improve the local environment establishing a much need community space that is free.
It is hoped that the project will have a ripple effect for the community to look after the area and their own gardens- green spaces.
Steps to get it done:
- • Ordering hives & bees and tools
- • 6 local members undertaking beekeeping training
- • Apiary workshops
- • Harvest honey!
The apiary will create a community resource to develop effective, accountable and transparent intergenerational services to support education. By strengthening the school and its relationships with families and communities, the resource will build capacity at all levels to develop sustainable communities that have a positive impact on the environment.