The Poetry 4 Grenfell project manifested as an immediate response to help artistically deal with the emotional aftermath of the Grenfell fire June'17. It combines poetry, dance and film in workshops, performances, and now a book, all with the aim of alleviating the pain and giving a platform to the suppressed voices in our RBKC community since the horrendous Grenfell fire.
Kamitan Arts are currently running poetry workshops and a local performance tour in schools and community centres leading up to a ‘One year on for Grenfell’ show. All members of our community are invited to observe, choose to take part and be uplifted by the ‘Word Sound and Power’, poetry, dance and film.
Creating a tangible platform for everyone to hear the voices of the Grenfell effected community is our next mission. The Poetry 4 Grenfell book will compile bi-lingual, heartfelt poems, raps, drawings and photos collected from children, elders, humanitarians and activists in our community. It will be a platform to
What we'll deliver:
- 200 Free Poetry 4 Grenfell Books to Grenfell residents and families
- 500+ Poetry 4 Grenfell Books sold to fundraise for sustainable projects in RBKC post-Grenfell
- Independently Publishing 20 Local Children, Young People and Adult poets and more from other areas
- A Ladbroke Grove raised Poetess and Freelance Arts Practitioner will edit and publish the Poetry 4 Grenfell Book
- 100 page min. Bi – Lingual Poetry Book with colour images, photos and drawings from the RBKC Community
- Local Community Recitations from the Poetry 4 Grenfell Book
- Filming and Documenting the Local Community Recitations from the Poetry 4 Grenfell Book
Why it's a great idea:
The Spoken Word whether on page or recited is therapeutic and powerful sound healing. The poetry workshops we began in our community nearly a year ago inspired the Poetry 4 Grenfell book call-out, which then inspired Kamitan Arts to document some of these local oral testimonies with a young person filming it all; this resulted in a Golden Heart Trellick Award-winning guerrilla short ‘Poetry 4 Grenfell’ (Best Art Film at Portobello Film Festival 2017). We had no funding for equipment; mostly all involved in creating our short were children, young people and elders from our Ladbroke Grove and Latimer Rd community and those that have been affected by the tragic Grenfell fire in June 2017. Imagine what we can achieve if we are to be funded to publish our 'Poetry 4 Grenfell' book, with voices from the heart of our very own community leading it? This project deserves as much exposure and support as possible, in order for our voices to reach a wider international level. Will you also join us?
Steps to get it done:
- Editing and Proof-reading the Book, it's contents and design
- Getting the Book online
- Promoting the Book
- Ordering Copies
- Organising and Promoting the Launch of the Book and contacting Press
- Reaching out to Grenfell Support Groups and Organisations
- Giving out the FREE Poetry 4 Grenfell Books to Grenfell residents and families
- Local and National recitations and publications including excerpts and Interviews of Book
- Continue running community Poetry 4 Grenfell and Dance 4 Grenfell workshops
All the poems have been accepted, we have not discriminated on ability, view, age, gender, cultural origin or languages used, instead we have encouraged anyone and everyone to contribute in which ever way they have felt comfortable to! This Bi-Lingual Poetry 4 Grenfell Book truly reflects our North Kensington community, while embracing others from all over London and the UK. Poetry 4 Grenfell is FOR EVERYONE, EVERYONE IS WELCOMED; this is for YOU, this is for ME, this is FOR US....
You can support with as little as 50p and upto as much as you want. Please share with all you know, you will be helping us a lot in manifesting our vision and being in control of our own words and work. Thank you ~*~ Kamitan Arts @Poetry4Grenfell @KamiktanArts
#LocalVoices #WritingIsTherapeutic #TrueStories#TakingControlOfOurStories #OurVoicesNeedToBeHeard#DropTheEgoLetsUniteForThePeople #PublishingOurVoicesInOurOwnTime #Poetry4Grenfell #KamitanArts #Justice4Grenfell#GrenfellWallOfTruth