The first two murals will be created on the school grounds of our partner schools. The final one will be situated in a shared public space that is yet to be confirmed. We are currently working hard to secure permission for a venue for the third mural. No pledges will be collected from backers until this venue is confirmed.
PiCTURE PERiVALE will:
- Bring people together to celebrate everything great Perivale has to offer. In doing so we will create 3 community murals.
- Facilitate a youth-led art program by running workshops and activities with local school children at Perivale Primary and at least one other school. The stories and ideas that are shared will form the basis of the mural designs and our partner schools will be invited to assist with the painting of the murals.
- We hope that our PiCTURE PERiVALE project will encourage local residents to take a walk around different parts of the local area. In turn, strengthening community pride in Perivale's outdoor spaces.
What we'll deliver:
- Run art workshops with two local schools, gathering stories of how they view their area
- Reach out to local artists who want to get involved in our project!
- Create one large scale community mural in a shared public space
- Create two small scale murals in the playground developments of our partner schools
- Where possible we will source recycled materials and paint e.g. unwanted paint from Greenford reuse and recycle centre
Why it's a great idea:
Perivale IS an area that has so much to offer, ranging from its wonderful schools to its expansive outdoor spaces. However, there are parts of Perivale that feel somewhat neglected. We want to take the opportunity to change this, and here are a few reasons why our mural project is a great way to do so:
- Murals are an inexpensive way to tidy and brighten up an outdoor space
- Murals require little maintenance!
- The mural project will be a fun way to engage different parts of the community
- PiCTURE PERiVALE will give local school children the opportunity to have a social impact on their area
- The small scale murals located in our partner school playgrounds will provide the children with a colourful and playful environment which they will have helped create!
- With a focus on community, our murals will help create a tangible sense of place
Steps to get it done:
- Finalise permissions for our large scale mural
- Finalise dates for when all of the murals will be created which due to weather will be more towards the summer months
- Run our art workshops with our partner schools
- Turn ideas into designs
- Begin with our large scale public mural, clearing the area in question of rubbish and weeds with the help of volunteers
- Prep the wall by cleaning and applying our undercoat
- Mark the wall with the designs
- Get painting and then varnish!
- Follow the same process but on a smaller scale when creating the murals in our partner school's