The ‘One City’ Fund gives people a simple way of supporting the city’s efforts to support vulnerable residents during the pandemic so that ‘no-one gets left behind’. Organisations, businesses and individuals are asked to get behind this project and donate money which will help support our city and its residents.
The City of Wolverhampton Council has ring-fenced a pledge of £10,000 towards our target and we need your help to raise an initial £10,000. Of the £20,000 target, 60% of the funds will be distributed to partner organisations which are listed below. The remaining 40% will be made available to grass-root community groups, who are supporting local people during the crisis, as small grants.
The fund and the small grants fund will be administered by the WVSC. Organisations wishing to make a bid to the small grants fund are asked to email Saffi Price on SPrice@wolverhamptonvsc.org.uk. For more information, visit http://www.wolverhamptonvsc.org.uk/onecityfund
What we'll deliver:
- Support for Beacon Centre for the Blind
- Support for Citizens Advice Bureau
- Support for The Real Junk Food Project Wolverhampton @ Gatis Community Space
- Support for The Well food bank
- Support for The Ethnic Minority Council
- Support for Wolverhampton Homes Money Smart service
Why it's a great idea:
Agencies will support the city’s most vulnerable residents at this difficult time. But there is a further group of people who are in desperate need – people living in fuel poverty, those on zero hours contracts whose hours have been cut, homeless people, disabled people, people with mental health issues and people who have no access to technology who are unable to access important services or information.
Donations raised through the fund will go to some of the city’s most vulnerable residents as we all face this crisis together. ALL the money raised will go directly to local organisations supporting people in severe financial hardship in the city so they can get the support and help that they need during this difficult time.
Steps to get it done:
- Raise funds for organisations across the city supporting vulnerable residents
What will your pledges buy?
£3 would provide the fuel to collect and deliver a box of surplus food to people living in poverty.
£10 would cover the Real Junk Food Cafe's refrigeration hire costs for one day.
£14 would help distribute 100 copies of the talking news to people with sight loss to keep them up to date on the news, sports, sight loss advice and Coronavirus information.
£30 would pay for a week's food and toiletries for a single person.
£45 would buy fuel vouchers for a family. On average this would give them approximately two weeks of cooking, heating and light.
£60 will pay for a week's food and toiletries for a family of four.
£96 would help Beacon Centre for the Blind set up a telephone conferencing system for those unable to use the internet.
£200 would pay for a pallet of food or toiletries for a food bank.
£670 would pay for Well Food Bank’s three vans for one month.
£2500 would pay for Well Food bank’s warehouse for one month.